my fps on my pc is crap with upgraded gpu

Mweyoutube

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
ive had a problem with my pc since the start i had a gtx 980ti and was getting 11 to 24 fps on a old game witch should get easy 60+ fps i upgraded thinking it was the gpu to a gtx1080 and still i have the same problem ive updated the bios put the power settings on full i have a 1000w psu i7 4790k
32gb ram and msi gaming 7 motherboard ive installed all correct drivers etc... but still getting 11 -
29 fps
please help

monitor? which game? How do you install gpu drivers? Did you delete the old driver before put in new GPU? Is the system a clean install or inherited? Check CPU and GPU usage to see if there are any bottlenecks?

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
This is one possible side effect of an underpowered card. Were you able to power the card using both required ATX 6pin and 8pin connectors? Does your motherboard have a PCI bus ancillary power (usually 6pin)? Generally speaking, Y-connectors can contribute to underpowering and shouldn't be used to for any of these connections.

Could also be software related.

Mweyoutube

Commendable
Dec 18, 2016
smasung curved monitor
game is state of decay and others
downloaded gpu drivers of nvidia web the installed deleted the old ones from 980ti
the system was built from scratch apart from swapping the gpu to see if that was the problem and it isnt updated bios yesterday etc but still nothing

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017

Sorry, I was thinking about the 980ti. Make sure that the 8pin for the gtx1080 is for PCI-E power to ensure enough wattage is being supplied. It probably is or you really would have had to jam it in to fit.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

cpu temps are too low, is this while running a game?

does it ramp up or is it stuck at a low speed?

you have a msi motherboard, make sure slow mode is turned off

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

near the power and reset button

msi_970_gaming_slow_mode-600x408.jpg