[SOLVED] My fresh 3080 is screeching... help? :(

PCTerminator

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Hey,

Built a new PC from scratch (https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vqkDrr), started to stress-test it with Prime95 for my CPU, Cinebench and FurMark - no worth mentioning issues.

I then thought, ok let's start up Warzone. Slight increase of sound in the loading screen, still just fine. I leave my PC to check something and all of a sudden the title screen with the first animation hits and my 3080 starts screeching in quite a loud way. Seems to be Coil Whine from what I've read and heard so far, but unsure what the reason could be.Whenever I tapped out of the window to Desktop it almost stopped immediately

The only thing that comes to my mind is the PSU cabeling - I used PCIE 1 and 2 (I just read I should use 1 and 3 in the manual) with one 8 pin and one with those 6+2 Y splitters.

I also read those splitters are not good to use, then again I read it's no issue and maybe I have just a faulty card - any tips or thoughts?

Solution
Could be a few things:

• a sticker left on the GPU fans catching or rubbing, check if you have taken off all protective stickers / film.
  • could be a wire touching the fan blades, make sure no wires are near the fans

However you'd expect those to be caught in the Furmark test.

When you ran Furmark did it max out the GPU? You would want to see 100% GPU load. If you can, run it again and start the CPU stress test at the same time, both the GPU and CPU should be at 100%. If the screeching happens at that point, you might be able to track it down.

It could be that it only happens when you load up the VRAM with textures, which Furmark won't do. That would be pretty crazy but I guess should be possible. In which case send the...

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
Could be a few things:

• a sticker left on the GPU fans catching or rubbing, check if you have taken off all protective stickers / film.

When you ran Furmark did it max out the GPU? You would want to see 100% GPU load. If you can, run it again and start the CPU stress test at the same time, both the GPU and CPU should be at 100%. If the screeching happens at that point, you might be able to track it down.

It could be that it only happens when you load up the VRAM with textures, which Furmark won't do. That would be pretty crazy but I guess should be possible. In which case send the card back for replacement as soon as you are able.

Reactions: PCTerminator
Solution

Lutfij

Titan
The issue cannot be from PSU wires...the issue is from the power delivery componentry that's soldered to the PCB of the GPU if you're certain that the origin of the sound came from the GPU. I'd ask you to document what you're seeing and hearing with a video clip and inform your seller as well as Asus to see if they're going to initiate an RMA.

As for the power cable concerns, without using daisy chains, use PCIe cables that lead straight from the PSU like so.

Reactions: PCTerminator

PCTerminator

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Could be a few things:

It could be that it only happens when you load up the VRAM with textures, which Furmark won't do. That would be pretty crazy but I guess should be possible. In which case send the card back for replacement as soon as you are able.

Thank you @TommyTwoTone66 ! I will check for all of these. Furmark was at 99% or so, CPU at 100% but did them separated from each other.

Also thank you @Lutfij ! I will then use the two normal PCIE 6+2 pins I received in my PSU and one of the PCIE 6+2 from the splitted cable and leave the one dangling around.
I can't really seem to find any information about this - the card has openings for 3x 8pins, should I use two or three of the mentioned 6+2 here?

85116071_imagerefernece.png.56bc406b7d2d68ca4c3d175992c520bc.png

PCTerminator

Honorable
Oct 15, 2016
Will do that, thank you! The case is currently open and I try to connect everything - also, since I feel like I am going bonkers, I want to double-check - the 8pin ending on the cables belong into the PSU, the 6+2 endings marked as VGA1,2 or 3 go into the GPU - right?
Once again, thank you so much!

Nevermind, I am stupid, that is def. not a 8pin ending lol.

TRENDING THREADS