Question My friend and I cannot connect to each other in ANY game and we live in same town and use the same ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elijah Forest

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
howdy all, whenever we try to play a game with just us 2 we cannot connect, but we can both connect to everyone else.

Any help would be appreciated because this is extremely annoying.

We have tried using/not using port forwarding and it didn't help at all.

You need public ip addresses to make port forwarding work. You should have seen this issue even with other people if you can not host the game. The first thing to check is that ip address your router shows on its wan port is the same as the ip you see on whatsmyip or other similar sites.

It also could be the ISP is restricting traffic between people on their network but that is not real likely.

Elijah Forest

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
You need public ip addresses to make port forwarding work. You should have seen this issue even with other people if you can not host the game. The first thing to check is that ip address your router shows on its wan port is the same as the ip you see on whatsmyip or other similar sites.

It also could be the ISP is restricting traffic between people on their network but that is not real likely.
I did all of that correctly and it didn't change anything, and like I said it's literally just me and this one friend, I can connect to anyone else I've tried.

Then there is nothing you can do about it. The port forwarding rules do not care what IP address you come from unless you setup some fancy filters.

If it is actually true that you can HOST games from other people then the ISP is blocking traffic between there customers. I was just assuming since that it would rare for a ISP to block traffic you had some other issue but if you are sure you can host games with other people then all you can do is call your ISP and ask them why. They likely will not change anything since they must have intentionally blocked traffic for a reason they felt was justified.

Elijah Forest

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
Then there is nothing you can do about it. The port forwarding rules do not care what IP address you come from unless you setup some fancy filters.

If it is actually true that you can HOST games from other people then the ISP is blocking traffic between there customers. I was just assuming since that it would rare for a ISP to block traffic you had some other issue but if you are sure you can host games with other people then all you can do is call your ISP and ask them why. They likely will not change anything since they must have intentionally blocked traffic for a reason they felt was justified.
Aahhh I hate Spectrum.

Thanks for the help anyways though 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.