My friend brought a gaming PC, And its turnt into a nightmare! (CPU Issues)

Connor19

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014
So my friend purchased a Gaming PC online. It turnt out to be nothing but issues. I tried getting him not to buy it but it was too late. He has now spent all his money on a PC That barely works, And I feel pretty bad so Im determined to help him find solutions (He seems to have given up on it) Though I know nothing really about PC's, So Im hoping I can find some resolutions or tips here!

The Specs of the New Machine >

Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
MSI A78M-E35
AMD FM2 A4-5300 Dual Core 3,4GHz

It was delivered to him and as soon as he booted it up the issues started, CPU was constantly running at 90-100c, Even browsing Google was making his CPU Run at 90c.I always knew the CPU would be an issue but never knew it'd be this bad. Its almost unbelievable that his CPU would get this hot only when on Google.

Anyhow he took the PC to a store today and the guy told him that he could remove a Motherboard + CPU from his old PC and pair it with his new GPU.

So....
Nvidia GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Acer Aspire M3970
Intel i7 2600 @ 3.40 Ghz

This to me sounds even worse. Would this work? If not what would you suggest?
Is the CPU he brought Faulty? Is there issues elsewhere?
Any questions, Please ask.
Help is appreciated, Thank you.

Solution
mate his best bet is to send it back it should have at least a 28 day grace period. as long as he hasnt removed or broken any warranty stickers.
if its too late then remove the gpu from the amd build and put it in the intel build.
it will work as the 750 ti runs on less than 75w.
so he should be able to get away with using the 350w.
just tell him not to use more than 3 hdd's if he doesnt have a dvd rom. or 2hdds and a dvd rom.
no more than 3 fans either.

all he will have to do on the amd build is turn on the on chip gfx and he will have a perfectly capable media pc...
and a decent enough gaming pc sporting a 750ti and i5 2600.

so he hasnt lost anything in real terms but he will gain performance if he follows good advice...
His cooler has probably been fitted badly or come loose in transit during shipping/delivery.
Youll need to pull the side panel to take a look.
That a4 dual core should really never get above 60c.

Saying that its a weak chip & fairly poor at gaming anyway.
That i7 Ia an old model but probably at least 4x as powerful as his current CPU & is still a very powerful gaming CPU.

Connor19

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

Hi,

The day it arrived I told him to check the heatsink was correctly attached and to also tell him to check for cooling paste. My initial thought was that somebody forgot to put paste on the CPU or attached the heatsink incorrectly but upon inspection both the paste and heatsink were fine.

Connor19

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

Hi,
Yes I tried telling him about the CPU but it was already too late, He kinda rushed into buying it without any opinions you see.
And he just told me he only has a 350Watt PSU, So Im assuming hes going to have to buy a new PSU atleast?

Connor19

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

Yes, The CPU Fan seemed to have been spinning fine. We also put another Heatsink into his PC quickly to see if that'd fix it but results were the same. Im now going to tell him to open BIOS upon startup and checking the temps!
Thanks

Connor19

Reputable
Jun 22, 2014

Right, He just checked the temps in BIOS and it was between 32-36. He said as soon as he gets into Windows and loads Google (Or worse) a game it shoots straight up to 90-100c.

And the Motherboard + CPU comes from His old PC. He doesn't have to pay anything, Just a matter of switching the GPU over.

mate his best bet is to send it back it should have at least a 28 day grace period. as long as he hasnt removed or broken any warranty stickers.
if its too late then remove the gpu from the amd build and put it in the intel build.
it will work as the 750 ti runs on less than 75w.
so he should be able to get away with using the 350w.
just tell him not to use more than 3 hdd's if he doesnt have a dvd rom. or 2hdds and a dvd rom.
no more than 3 fans either.

all he will have to do on the amd build is turn on the on chip gfx and he will have a perfectly capable media pc...
and a decent enough gaming pc sporting a 750ti and i5 2600.

so he hasnt lost anything in real terms but he will gain performance if he follows good advice.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-vs-AMD-A4-5300
this comparison uses the chip only so no dedicated gfx card.
the amd does so well because of its graphics core which is a better design than on the 2600. which makes up a lot of the short fall on the amd's cpu part of the apu.

when you add a dedicated gfx card things change dramatically in the intels favour.
it will play a wider spectrum of games smoother and with more fps than the amd by a huge margin on some titles.
so yeah its definatly worth just taking the gpu out and using it with the stronger intel cpu.

Solution