Jul 16, 2020
My friend bought his brand new laptop 6 months ago, during the couple months it ran everything perfectly.

But then he did some GeForce or Intel driver update and now everything he plays either instantly crashes or crashes midway through playing. We both don't know what the issue is, but sometimes he is able to play the game for long periods of time without the game even crashing but then he has times where the game will crash over and over again.

He's had many different errors, all like: "d3d hung" "your video card does not support alpha blending with floating point render targets (d3dfmt_a16b16g16r16f), which is required to run this game" etc. When his games crash, things like Discord will go black and he can't launch the game again, if he tries to restart it, it gives him this: "stop code video_dxgkrnl_fatal_error" and it doesnt restart. He's forced to shut it down to turn it back on.
Also I forgot to add, if one of his games does not work like Smite for example, he can launch a game like Dead by Daylight and it won't crash but Smite will crash in loops.

He also can't run the userbenchmark because when he tests his gpu it would crash and fail the test and he has to restart and everytime there's a driver/intel/windows update it has always worked for awhile before it went back to not working again..

Below are his specs

Manufacturer: Acer
Model: Predator PH317-53
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59GHz
RAM: 16.0GB (15.8 is usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64- based processor
Graphics card: Rtx 2060

Last edited:
He has reinstalled Windows twice, reinstalled older versions of Nvidia and Intel drivers, same thing. :/

Uninstall both Intel and nVidia drivers, run DDU to wipe them. Go to the Acer support site and install the chipset drivers and Intel drivers from there first, then the nVidia drivers, check for a BIOS update also after that. Do not install drivers from nVidia site. For laptops you don't want to use drivers other than from the system vendor.

Jul 16, 2020
Uninstall both Intel and nVidia drivers, run DDU to wipe them. Go to the Acer support site and install the chipset drivers and Intel drivers from there first, then the nVidia drivers, check for a BIOS update also after that. Do not install drivers from nVidia site. For laptops you don't want to use drivers other than from the system vendor.
This is his response to doing it
im just gonna play fall guys for a bit cause then at 3 i get to see my grandma in hospital and then i have to go to the farm
[11:59 AM]
it crashed first game....
[11:59 AM]
guess i get to spend my last hour trying to fix it instead of getting to play

THEgreaseBALLToday at 12:30 PM
okay i did exactly what they said, there was no BIOS update
[12:30 PM]
so usually after i reinstall a driver it works for a bit so lets see if this works this time
[12:31 PM]
i installed the intel and nvidia drivers from the site like he said and the chipset thing

THEgreaseBALLToday at 12:39 PM
so uhh
[12:39 PM]
i went and checked on userbenchmark to test
[12:40 PM]
first test made it through but all my scores were low when it came to the gpu
and im like oh its cause it was using the intel, so i changed it to the nvidia graphics
crashed during the test...
im like 99% sure its the graphics card
somethings wrong with it