Question My friend is telling my other friend not to put his os on the ssd, instead keep it on 5400rpm hdd -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.

triple3pros

Prominent
Mar 17, 2019
So for my friends birthday he got a 500gb ssd, finally. It takes him atleast an hour to load into rust and a few minutes to load into his os. So my other friend tells him to NOT put the os on his ssd, because it won't make a difference. I've been telling my friend with the ssd to put his mumblemumble os on his ssd, but the other one tells him no. Can I get some people to reply back with why he should plzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFRet

Titan
The "friend" is 100% wrong.

The OS does want to be on the SSD.

Why? The SSD is significantly faster than any spinning drive.
Everything in the system interacts with the OS, so it only makes sense to have the OS and your applications on the fastest drive.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
"So my other friend tells him to NOT put the os on his ssd, because it won't make a difference "
WRONG.
ANYTHING on the slow drive will be, wait for it...
SLOW. windows, programs, pictures what have you, if its on the slow drive it will be slow.

personal experience here, you can look over my posts I have told it before. Killing floor2 on the HDD, a 7200 RPM WD Black HDD at that, takes three and a half minutes to load into a ready state, off my "by no means top of the line kingston budget SSD" it takes under a minute, 45-60seconds.

windows will load faster, programs will load faster, games will load faster, are you seeing a pattern here, ITS FASTER!

there is no reason not to put the OS and APPS on the SSD, a 120GB maybe an excuse to be had (size) a 500GB no excuse at all in the universe

*caps for emphasis only not yelling

Without knowing his hardware specs, I can't say for sure that the 5400 rpm hdd is his bottleneck (an hour to load a game and multiple minutes to load the OS sure indicate something is struggling).
Typically, the SSD is best for the OS, and considrring he has a slow hdd, his games should go on SSD as well. By the sounds of things, he should do a full wipe and fresh install of everything to know he's getting everything he can out of the system, 'cause something ain't right.

Status
Not open for further replies.