My Friend needs PC Upgrading Help

enderessvideos

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
So, I have this friend on steam, and he was planning on upgrading his PC. He currently has a HP Pavilion p7-1003w Desktop PC, and is currently set on upgrading some of the parts so he can play games better.

He bought a new 500 watt PSU off of Amazon, I htought that it was an Evga 500 watt, and a GT 710 2GD3H LP Graphics Card off of amazon in hopes of a good upgrade. His GPU is arriving tomorrow, and he was wondering if he would have to wait for the new PSU to arrive before placing the GPU in, as his current PSU is only 250 watts, apparently. Normally, I would love to help, but I only know the basics of computers.

Here are all of his current specs:

Motherboard: N-Alvorix-RS880-uATX (Alvorix)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 650
RAM: 8 GB
Graphics: Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon 4200
Audio: Integrated ALC888S-VD audio
Networking: LAN: 10-Base-T
Storage: 1 TB
CD/Disk Drive: SuperMulti DVD Burner drive
Media Card Reader: Multimedia card reader
Computer Case: ATX
PSU (A.K.A. Power Supply Unit) Internal 250W (100-240V)

This Link has all of these specs in more details: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02871948
So you can go there if I didn't provide enough.

My question is, could he put the card in while waiting for the new PSU, would the PSU fit in his case, and is there anything he should know before attempting?

Thanks for your time!

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador
MERGED QUESTION
Question from enderessvideos : "My Friend needs PC Upgrading Help"

the gt 710 is a low power card for those without internal gpu, but 250w is pushing it especially since it is very old ( psu's degrade over time )

Fair warning: That CPU is fine for games that put their demands on the videocard. Lots of newer games, PUBG and BF1 to name two, put quite a bit of load on the CPU. That Athlon II won't do so well on those games. Meanwhile the GT 710 is not a gaming card, it IS better than the integrated graphics he's using now, but it's not going to be great for anything too demanding. It was a good idea to upgrade the power supply. A 250W isn't enough, and it's an old 250W PSU so it really needed to be replaced.

enderessvideos

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
Ok, he got it today, and it ran well. He now can play Half Life 2 on high graphics and some other games as well. Even though helping him with the drivers was a pain, we got through! Thanks everyone!

TRENDING THREADS