My friend refuses to trade: My 4000+ Claw for his Sandy.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
And if he did swap processors with you, and the 'Claw' went pop, would you give him his 'Sandy' back again? What if the Claws warranty was over, and the Sandy was still in warranty.

Or would you expect your friend to sent the chip back to the supplier claiming it was the chip he recieved in the first place.

Im with your friend on this one, there is no way I would 'trade' processors with a friend, too much hassle should anything break. If his computer is stable, and reliable, I doubt there is any 'justifiable' reason why he should risk damaging it, just so you can have the 'better' processor.

And it doesnt matter that the supplier sent the 'wrong' processor. Perhaps they were out of stock of Claws, so they sent the closest possible alternative. Either way, it was still paid for by his money.

"OC'ing from 2.2GHz to 2.66GHz bring me from 35ish to 42ish frames in FEAR on Ultra High, and 3DMARK scores go up by 2-10%."

My own 3500+ when raised from 2.2 to 2.5G gained absolutely nothing in FEAR average framerates, which is to be expected when/if the benchmark or game is gpu bound, such as using 1024x768/4xAA/16xAF settings; those results mirror those obtained in Athlon 64/7800 scaling at Firingsquad, etc...(everything set to max, soft shadows off, DX8 shaders off, drivers at default "quality" level)

Perhaps you were using either a much faster video cardin FEAR, or lesser settings?

Here's a scaling shart of A64/FEAR framerates using 6800GT and 7800GTX....

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/athlon_64_geforce_7800_gtx_scaling/page13.asp

At 16xAF settings, the disparity is even smaller....

Ergo...VIDEO is almost everything in gaming at high res, as long as you have enough processor!

"I used to run at 3.0ghz, but CoD2 crashed once every 3-4 days "

At least you are honest enough to admit the minor stability issues exist with at least one rig out there when searching for 3G out of an A64....

"Hmm, that must mean you've never OC'd a new CPU. "

On the contrary...

I've had the Celeron300a at 464, the P3/600E at 832, etc....

I'll requalify my statement....

If playing at gpu bound resolutions in games (i.e., higher than 1024x768 with AA/AF), the 200-400 MHz cpu overclock in many games results in virtually no improvement, if already at an A64/3500+ and using a 7800GT...

Just out of curiosity....

At what settings and with what video card were you only getting 35 fps in FEAR? If playing at lower res, sure, perhaps more cpu speed will help; but, enable 4xAA/and 16xAF at 1024x768 or above, and you will see that an FX57 scores less than 1 fps more than a 3500+.

the_guru

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Hi,

I have a dilema on my hands. I can't convince my friend to trade his sandy 4000+ for my Claw 4000+. Seeing as how I decided to overclock now, and I can squeeze out 600mhz out of the Sandy, and he doesnt even want to overclock, I feel there is a great need for the trade. He didn't even order a Sandy, Zipzoomfly sent him the wrong core. He has no reason for not wanting to trade, I think he's just being a bit stubborn. I ordered my proc before the Sandy was out. I know the Sandy's bench maybe a smidge higher than the Claws, but after all the help I did on his rig building (picking and correcting his build specifications to an extreme benefit) he could at least do me this tiny favor? I even threw in some headphones and some free arctic silver 5 to mount his claw if he trades.

What do you guys think? Can you guys help me out on this deal? My new Mobo, Heatsink fan, and Ram comes tomorrow and I need a Sandy to Overclock well.
For a fair trade I think you should give him some cash with your CPU since his CPU is better than yours. I would call you greedy if you don't offer him something for his better CPU.

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
you can't just force someone to to you a 'favor' just because you feel like it or you felt like you've helped them. from your perspective it sounds like a reasonable enough idea, but if your mate doesn't want to trade his parts, then he has a right not to. so if you know they are sure they don't want to trade then just drop it.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I don't know the Sandy has SSE3 support the Claw does not, and 90nm vs 130nm. I don't blame him I wouldn't want to trade either. If you want it that bad offer him the great equalizer..... Cash.