[SOLVED] My Friend with almost the exact same specs gets better performance in most games than me

Jan 8, 2020
My Specs: GPU: Radeon RX 590
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
2x4GB and 1x8GB 2400Mhz RAM

His Specs: GPU: GTX 1060 3GB
CPU: Ryzen 5 2400G
2x4GB 2400Mhz RAM

In games like GTA V and Destiny 2 he gets significantly better performance than me. In GTA V (Online) i struggle to get 60FPS most of the time on the lowest settings with only Textures and AF to the highest, while he gets a stable 60FPS at High-Ultra Settings.

Solution
Which slots, exactly, do you have the RAM installed in?

They SHOULD be installed in the two lighter colored DIMM slots, which are located in the 2nd and 4th positions away from the CPU.

I would very strongly suggest that you make sure you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed, because the same board with two different BIOS versions could have WILDLY different performance, or one of them have issues while the other one does not when using otherwise identical hardware.

And, I would make sure to go and install THIS specific chipset driver. Install the version that is for your OS version.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b350

Also, make sure your AMD graphics driver is up to date as well...
It's the "almost" part that likely contains the difference.

For one thing, your memory configuration is probably botched, as I do not believe AMD has a FLEX mode for Ryzen platforms and that additional 8GB oddball module is PROBABLY knocking out your dual channel operation. That means your memory bandwidth is possibly running at half of what it could be. I'd recommend, temporarily at least, that you remove the oddball 8GB memory module.

I can get into this further regarding a few recommendations that might help but we need to know the exact model of your motherboard. Knowing what Windows version you are running and what build version it is if it's Windows 10 as well, would help.

Jan 8, 2020
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-DS3H (Friend has the same)
Windows 10 Pro 19041.1
Hope this helps.
I'll see if my performance increases if i remove the single 8GB stick.
I've also already checked for bad drivers and cleaned my registry with CCleaner which both increased my performance by a bit.
EDIT: I just took out my single 8GB stick and it seems to have improved performance a little bit more, but still not running as expected.

Last edited:
If your cpu's and ram are exactly the same then it comes down to windows settings and GPU's. The RX 590 is about 15% better then the GTX 1060 3GB, so that very well could be where hes getting better performance then you.

Wrong. You have the systems mixed up. HE has the better graphics card, with the RX 590, so technically HIS system should be outperforming his friend's, but isn't.

Which slots, exactly, do you have the RAM installed in?

They SHOULD be installed in the two lighter colored DIMM slots, which are located in the 2nd and 4th positions away from the CPU.

I would very strongly suggest that you make sure you have the MOST recent motherboard BIOS version installed, because the same board with two different BIOS versions could have WILDLY different performance, or one of them have issues while the other one does not when using otherwise identical hardware.

And, I would make sure to go and install THIS specific chipset driver. Install the version that is for your OS version.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b350

Also, make sure your AMD graphics driver is up to date as well.

If you are playing online, from two different locations, the problem could well be due to different speed internet connections too.

Solution