[SOLVED] My friend would like a recommended build (Gaming and Recording)

May 1, 2019
Hey there, just wanted to say thanks for the previous help from my older threads that I made in regards to my build and case options. My friend got in touch with me and would like some help picking a new computer for him. We're both thinking of recording and maybe streaming together and we both needed better computers, I think it is about time he upgrades instead of playing on a very old laptop.

In regards to his needs, I'll include a small list:
  • Would like to run games at ultra setting.
  • Be able to have multitasking capabilities without impacting the performance.
  • He would like to use standard editing software at ease.
  • Regarding his budget. he wants to see what his options are as he doesn't know how much he needs to spend in order to get an "optimal" build that will do the job. He would rather spend a little extra knowing that it'll work fine.
  • Airflow is very important to him and would like it to be nice and cool.
  • He wants a 1440p monitor but isn't priority so planning for that would be great.
  • He's super lazy so any dust filters would be great options on cases as I know for a fact he won't clean it.

I told him to come here and ask himself as the people here are nice and friendly but he's a lazy piece of work at times. Can't say that we'll be great at streaming but it will be fun to start and see how it goes.

Thanks in advance again and looking forward to what we can find for him :D

Solution
PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VCH63b

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£314.95 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard (£231.48 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£80.13 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£97.03 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£84.94 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£539.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P350X ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.97 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX...
First off knowing a budget is very important so we don't go overboard and if he doesn't wanna clean it just tell him he will need to clean it or some components could go bad faster such as fans for instance also the performance will be impacted someway by multitasking but the hit shouldn't be big if he gets the right CPU.

May 1, 2019
Yeah he will definitely have to clean it, I just know he probably won't clean it but I'll try and stress how important it will be. Regarding budget, he told me that he can try keeping it around £1500 but he doesn't know if that's too much or if he is able to go lower and still be able to record games at 1080p with ultra settings and not have any performance issues.

Yeah he will definitely have to clean it, I just know he probably won't clean it but I'll try and stress how important it will be. Regarding budget, he told me that he can try keeping it around £1500 but he doesn't know if that's too much or if he is able to go lower and still be able to record games at 1080p with ultra settings and not have any performance issues.
Okay so will your friend be using ethernet USB adapter or PCI-E card for internet?

May 1, 2019
He's not sure what he wants, as long as he can access the Wi-Fi without any additional accessories. He wants it to be like his laptop where he can turn it on and access the internet wireless through the router.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/VCH63b

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£314.95 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard (£231.48 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£80.13 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£97.03 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£84.94 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card (£539.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P350X ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.97 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£85.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit (£107.38 @ More Computers)
Total: £1600.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-10 12:25 BST+0100

you didn't specify if he needed a license so I put one there

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-32GK650...LG+32GK650F-B&qid=1565436205&s=gateway&sr=8-2 this monitor is very good from what I hear.

Solution
May 1, 2019
Thank you for taking the time to compile a build for him. I hear these are the new CPU processors, do they come with a CPU cooler too or is it best to buy another CPU cooler?

Also I did some research on Motherboards, there are so many to choose from and I was wondering what made you choose the one that you picked. I saw there was a motherboard "MSI B450" and wasn't sure if there was a major difference between the both.

Thanks for the monitor recommendation, I'll send that to him so he can look into it :)

Just wanted to make sure that I can both save him money and he also gets to be able to do everything he needs to do on it.

Thank you for taking the time to compile a build for him. I hear these are the new CPU processors, do they come with a CPU cooler too or is it best to buy another CPU cooler?

Also I did some research on Motherboards, there are so many to choose from and I was wondering what made you choose the one that you picked. I saw there was a motherboard "MSI B450" and wasn't sure if there was a major difference between the both.

Thanks for the monitor recommendation, I'll send that to him so he can look into it :)

Just wanted to make sure that I can both save him money and he also gets to be able to do everything he needs to do on it.
1. Yes, it comes with a good cooler unless he wants to overclock.

2. There are minor issues with Ryzen 3000 one of these issues being motherboard compatibility as some Ryzen 3000 BIOS updates were actually taken off because they were apparently unstable this will save the headache and you said he wants it to be like his laptop so thought onboard wifi would be a board he'd want.

May 1, 2019
I've personally never experienced overclocking so I'm not sure how it would benefit him. I think it might be good if he had the option available to him. Thanks for the help you have provided, I really appreciate it!

Also about keeping the computer nice and cool, would you recommend additional fans or anything additional that might help with that?

I've personally never experienced overclocking so I'm not sure how it would benefit him. I think it might be good if he had the option available to him. Thanks for the help you have provided, I really appreciate it!

Also about keeping the computer nice and cool, would you recommend additional fans or anything additional that might help with that?
You're welcome!

2-3 fans are ideal anything more is a waste of money the case I chose has great airflow just make sure cable management is good and it comes with one fan I'd see how it feels and if the airflow doesn't seem good replace the 1 fan with 3 other fans my suggestion would be Corsair LL120RGB three-pack.

May 1, 2019
You're welcome!

2-3 fans are ideal anything more is a waste of money the case I chose has great airflow just make sure cable management is good and it comes with one fan I'd see how it feels and if the airflow doesn't seem good replace the 1 fan with 3 other fans my suggestion would be Corsair LL120RGB three-pack.

Thank you very much for your help, you've been awesome! I'm not sure if he cares about the RGB factor but I'm sure he can look at other Corsair options available. I'll forward this information to him and see how he feels about it!

Thanks once again, I might be back with more questions from him but hopefully I won't be taking up too much of your time.

Also finally found out how to include quotes, didn't realise it was as easy as pushing the reply button. Literally kept pushing the Quote button and was wondering why it wasn't working haha.

Thank you very much for your help, you've been awesome! I'm not sure if he cares about the RGB factor but I'm sure he can look at other Corsair options available. I'll forward this information to him and see how he feels about it!

Thanks once again, I might be back with more questions from him but hopefully I won't be taking up too much of your time.

Also finally found out how to include quotes, didn't realise it was as easy as pushing the reply button. Literally kept pushing the Quote button and was wondering why it wasn't working haha.
Haha, they are good fans from what I hear which is why I said them and I have all the time in the world no worries!

May 1, 2019
Oh yeah, he can be quite picky and I believe he might have some trouble picking up some cases, are there other alternatives that he could choose from or do you think the one you recommended fits everything nicely?

Oh yeah, he can be quite picky and I believe he might have some trouble picking up some cases, are there other alternatives that he could choose from or do you think the one you recommended fits everything nicely?
It's a very nice case but there are other options

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/p8x2FT/nzxt-h500-black-atx-mid-tower-case-ca-h500b-b1

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...hify-c-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-c-bko-tg

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...ase-h500-atx-mid-tower-case-mcm-h500-ignn-s00

These all have pretty good airflow from what I have heard but Phanteks probably has the best airflow.

May 1, 2019

Thank you very much once again. Now he has no excuse for being picky!

May 1, 2019
Sorry for posting almost a month later but he was running into a slight problem and was wondering if someone had a quick solution to fix this. He has a friend to help build his computer and he's really satisfied, works great. The only problem is that he purchased the following in terms of storage:
  • Kingston A400 480GB SSD
  • Seagate Barracuda 4TB 5400RPM Hard Drive
  • Corsair MP510 480GB M.2-220 NVME SSD.

We're both not really great in terms of understand computers that well, he is unable to save any files and such onto the 4TB Hard Drive. After some research, we believe that it could be that Windows was being booted on that hard drive but we're not sure what to do or how to change things to the "optimal" layout. I was wondering if someone can point us in the right direction or let us know what we could do.

Also I'm not sure if this is worth mentioning but his friend that built the computer in the end had to purchase Windows 10 and install it as there wasn't any other way. Not sure what they mean by that but if you guys can lend a hand, that'll be awesome!

TRENDING THREADS