Question My friend's ASUS 3070ti having some issues

LoganKey

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2014
Hoping to get some advice from a smarter mind. My friend recently built his computer from a mix of brand new/used parts. The main issue is his brand new Asus 3070ti seems to be very screwy. The symptoms of the card are yesterday when he went to turn it on there was no picture from the graphics card and no USB signal to kbm. We disconnected the card and switched to on board graphics in the bios. We went into windows and removed the drivers for the GPU and proceeded to reinstall the graphics card. This worked for the day until he went to turn it on again this morning with the same issue. He followed the same steps listed above and while playing CoD MW 2019 he said he started getting artifacts while in game. I am at a loss. I personally have not had this issue before so I can not speak from experience on what is a possible solution. The card is still under Amazon return so we can always get another card as last resort.

Specs of PC in question.
i7 8700k
120mm AIO
16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz ram
ASUS RTX 3070ti
Samsung 980 m.2
Samsung 870 SSD
EVGA 850w PSU

Jul 3, 2022
Monitor the following:
Gpu core
Gpu hotspot
Memory junction
Gpu-Z and HWINFO can read those.

Narrow down that psu. EVGA 850w is too broad; they are not created equal, and the upper end 30 series is particularly picky with power supplies.
There's 19 EVGA 850 in this list: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#m=14&A=850000000000

Friend here! The power supply is the evga 850w supernova GA 80 plus. Checked the max temps. They read around 72C memory, 72C hot spot, and 63C GPU temp. This was after one match in COD just to benchmark.

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Those thermals are really good, so it's not that...
The EVGA's GA series appears to be B-tier, and there's a note about it not handling power transients from upper end RTX 30s very well, but not so terrible that it should be causing artifacts...
The no display upon boot - suspect hardware; Windows hasn't had a chance to load starting drivers yet.

Artifacts can be driver, overheating gpu, or defective Vram.
1)Was Display Driver Uninstaller used to uninstall the current driver, and then you got the next driver from Nvidia website?
2)Have you tried different HDMI and DP cables?
3)Got another PC to try the card in?

Jul 3, 2022
Those thermals are really good, so it's not that...
The EVGA's GA series appears to be B-tier, and there's a note about it not handling power transients from upper end RTX 30s very well, but not so terrible that it should be causing artifacts...
The no display upon boot - suspect hardware; Windows hasn't had a chance to load starting drivers yet.

Artifacts can be driver, overheating gpu, or defective Vram.
1)Was Display Driver Uninstaller used to uninstall the current driver, and then you got the next driver from Nvidia website?
2)Have you tried different HDMI and DP cables?
3)Got another PC to try the card in?

I did not use DDU, I used NVIDIA Experience to clean install my drivers.
I have tried different ports for HDMI and DP, no dice.
I do not have another pc to try it on at this moment.

I have not had any artifacts from today, I will just need to keep monitoring the temps.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Without a means of swapping in/out other parts, it will be difficult to troubleshoot further. You'd then have to look to Amazon and try a different card.

Failure to POST is hardware. That you can remove the gpu and get into Windows just fine with the cpu's iGPU... points to the gpu, but it could also be the motherboard. If the bios hasn't been updated in some time, it may be worth a shot.
Artifacts can be driver, thermal, or Vram defects. One more cause I left out by mistake, is unstable gpu overclocks. If you have not OC'ed the gpu, that still leaves the OC from the factory.

Which parts are used, by the way?

Jul 3, 2022
i7 8700k
MSI z370 gaming plus mother board
16gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200mhz ram
ASUS RTX 3070ti
Samsung 980 m.2
Samsung 870 SSD
EVGA 850w supernova GA 80 plus

I tried updating the MB bios to the most recent version but that had no affect either.
I have not overclocked the GPU but I have been overclocking my CPU using the Game Boost function found on my BIOS.