My friends can't connect to my cs 1.6 dedicated server

Status
Not open for further replies.

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014
I have created a dedicated server for counter strike 1.6 with hlds having port number 27021. I have selected Internet as network type and then created the server. I can play in the server but my friends can't connect to it. I have router: tp link TL-WR720N. I have forwarded the port 27021 by going to router's internal ip which opens a configuration page. I did this by selecting forwarding>>virtual servers and then gave service port 27021, IP address: as my internal router's ip 192.168.x.x, protocol:all, status:enabled and didn't select any common service port.
Have I port forwarded wrongly or incompletely?

NOTE: I gave my friends thie ip from hlds menu nd it didn't work, so I again gave the ip as my public ip-port (i got the public IP from http://www.whatsmyip.org and gave the ip as 202.142.x.x:27021) but it still didn't work. Maybe it wasn't working due some other issue but still, which ip should I give?
Note 2: From the router's status page, the wan ip is different from the ip shown by http://www.whatsmyip.org . What does this mean? and my Internet connection is of cable network, so I'm assigned a fixed IP.

Solution
so basically you have a cable modem with one coax coming out of it from that as well as the ethernet cable directly to you wireless router?

if so you should be getting your real wan ip directly from your provider onto your wireless router under the wan section.

if you are indeed getting a 172.16.x.x ip under the wan section of your wireless router the only thing that can cause that is the modem is really a modem/router all in one that is handing out dhcp addresses instead of just the wan ip.

To test disconnect your wifi router and plug a laptop or pc directly into it.

if you have windows

hit start, then type cmd

from there hit ipconfig

under lan you should be seeing exept it will say lan

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network...
http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ use that to test to make sure the port is open.

all in all you should be in forwarding, add the ip of your server and make sure you actually statically set your server to that ip or it can change. then add tcp and udp to the port needed.

what provider do you have? the wan ip in your router should be the same one you get from say whatsmyip.

is the ip you get in the router say a 192.168.1.x etc ip or one similar to your wan ip?

I know some providers like hughesnet(satellite internet) are behind a CGN router which essentially hands out non real wan ips in order to conserve its true ips. you can use ipv6 in most cases or get a true static ip from them if this is the case

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014

Well, the port forward test said the port is closed. My ISP is Siti Digital Broadband, although it is a cable connection.
My WAN IP, gateway, subnet, dns server IPs were provided to me by my ISP. So my wan ip is static. But my routers internal ip is different. It is 192.168.0.x while wan ip is like 172.19.x.x

thats the issue, you are behind another router or your modem has router capabilities. usually 172.16.x.x is a cisco device by default.

do you have a router ahead of your main router?

you will need to get the device model and but it into bridge mode or if this isn't an option you need to disable the firewall and enable dmz mode and select your routers ip.

once rebooting both you should now be getting your wan ip on your router.

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014

My ISP provides direct connection by RJ45(8-pin) cable without any modems or routers. I have installed this router for using the Ethernet connection as wireless network for home devices. Maybe the router at my ISP's server changes the ip but then I won't be able to do anything about it. And yes the internal ip of router is set by default. I haven't manually tweaked it.
I am not familiar with networking so don't know how to enable dmz mode. Is this about changing my router's internal ip to be same as my WAN ip?

so basically you have a cable modem with one coax coming out of it from that as well as the ethernet cable directly to you wireless router?

if so you should be getting your real wan ip directly from your provider onto your wireless router under the wan section.

if you are indeed getting a 172.16.x.x ip under the wan section of your wireless router the only thing that can cause that is the modem is really a modem/router all in one that is handing out dhcp addresses instead of just the wan ip.

To test disconnect your wifi router and plug a laptop or pc directly into it.

if you have windows

hit start, then type cmd

from there hit ipconfig

under lan you should be seeing exept it will say lan

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . .
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.156.147
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.156.1

if you see something similar with the ipv4 being like 24.67.25.223 you are actually getting a wan ip.
if you see 172.19.x.x or similar it is indeed a router and you will need to do what I said in the previous post. either bridging into a plain modem or dmz mode

and then port forwarding will work

Solution

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014

No, I DO NOT HAVE A CABLE MODEM. The RJ45 cable comes from outside of my house and is directly connected to a router that I bought myself. There is no intermediate modem. I disconnected my modem and plugged the cable directly to my PC's ethernet port. After typing ipconfig, the ipv4 address is automatically provided by windows which doesn't work. I had to manually enter the IP address given to me by my ISP in the properties of ipv4 which I accessed from network and sharing center by clicking on the ethernet connection. Then only I could connect to the internet.
And I am getting the same IP that my provider gave under wan ip section of the router config page.

I've never seen a feed just coming from the street with no cable modem. However since you have a static ip this is entered under the wan section of your router? If it wasn't you wouldn't have internet. If you have set that up in the wan then opened the ports pointing to the statically addressed pc and they still can't connect at your ip and port then it's most likely your firewall.

You need to confirm that your ports show open with this.

Http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

It should be showing your static ip.

If it still says closed and you are sure it is done right in the router it has to be on the pc side.

Could even test with your pc directly on that cable and static ip set to it. If it doesn't test as the port open it is a pc setting.

Your could then disable any AV and your firewall and see if it shows open

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014

OK. Now addressing the issue after doing some homework :p I had DHCP enabled which was causing some sort of problem I guess. So do I have to disable it? And I found DMZ mode under port forwarding. Which IP to give in it? the router's or the one provided to me by my ISP? Tried ISP's IP. I get a notification saying" The IP address is not in the same subnet with LAN IP address". All port checks says port is closed. Even that of HTTP. I have disable the option in my antivirus to block port scans, but still the website says the port is closed.
Now, to summarize my problem, I am encountering 3 IPs:
1. provided by my ISP of the form: 172.19.x.x : this is the IP in WAN section of router status page
2. the IP of my router:192.168.x.x : this is the IP in LAN section of router status page
After typing ipconfig in CMD, the 1st address of DHCP pool is assigned as the IPv4 address.
3. the IP reported by whatismyip.org of the form: 202.142.x.x
After creating cs 1.6 server with HLDS, it shows the IP reported in IPv4 address on typing ipconfig in CMD along with chosen port number. While this works for me, it doesn't for my friends. So please tell me, which IP to give to my friends and which IP to put in port forwarding and DMZ mode.

you will want to enable dmz on the isp router and fix it to the current ip your router is getting from the isps router.

I just tried this today at work on a verizon router and it doesn't work even when fixing the ip manually on the second router. it still gets an internal ip and ports are not open.

whats weird is your ip should be the ip you get from what is my ip under the isp routers wan section. unless you meant lan before.

I have done this on my frontier/att router and when I enable dmz mode I get a wan ip on my second router and I have done this on a Time warner router and it does the same.
but http will be closed on your router regardless, it should be unless you host a website etc or something that uses inbound 80, some providers block 80 in unless you have a static ip.

I would love to get a teamviewer session going to try and lend you a hand

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014

I don't quite understand what you mean by "isp router". As I said earlier, I haven't been provided with any router/modem from my ISP. The wire directly comes from outside and I plug it into my router. If you mean my ISP's actual router that sends the connection, well, I obviously don't have any chance to configure that one.
Anyways, I don't think my router's configuration is the problem, because even after taking the router out of equation and plugging the RJ45 cable directly to my motherboard's ethernet port, I am still encountering 2 IPs. I put all details given by my ISP in properties of IPv4 of the connection and connected to internet, but whatismyip.org still gives me a different IP than that of the one provided by my ISP. The website reports the same IP as the one when I got when I had the router plugged in. So my ISP is giving a different public IP every time I login to their page (I am required to login to a page with my username and pass to access internet). What to do? Is my case hopeless :(

sorry I shouldn't read this while at work, if you hook directly to the cable coming into your hosue you should be getting your wan IP which would be the same as whatismyip.

you shouldnt be entering anything in your ipv4 section, leave it as dhcp and it will pick up and address, it may take some time and you may have to wait for the connection to release.

If you are getting a 172 or other address similar you are behind another router still per say which may be handled by your isp etc in the street.

Some companys with limited ips available will use a proxy system etc which essentially is doing the same thing as your router to let a bunch of homes use a single ip address for service and they limit the speed accordingly.

akhilesh_3

Commendable
Jun 26, 2016
am getting the same problem while creating hl dedicated server for cs1.6 . there is some kind of hub or bridge is provided by our cable provider from where the lan cable is connected to my pc.
i am also getting wan ip as 174.16.x.x and different public ip as 111.x.x.x
any solution to this.

raunak62

Honorable
Apr 27, 2014

Chose your solution as the best since it would be the solution in 99% of cases. Mine I'm afraid falls in the other 1% :( Finally got hold of an operator of my ISP. Apparently I have to pay extra charge to setup an server! even for a tiny puny CS 1.6 server only for my friends! Greedy ahol** -_- He said after I paid the extra monthly charge they would forward the required port or something at their end! But thanks a lot. Even though my problem wasn't resolved, I learnt a lot from your replies! :) As fr setting up server, left CS 1.6 in dust (pun intended :p ) and picked up CS GO to play with friends :D

Status
Not open for further replies.