[SOLVED] My friends computer stopped working after overclocking his ram and now doesn't boot to bios.\

Jun 7, 2021
So my friend got a new kit of ram (Patriot Viper Steel ddr4 3600mhz 2x8gb) and it worked at first but after he overclocked it and it stopped working and wouldn't boot to bios. He put his old ram sticks in and that didn't work either. Is there a way to fix this?

Solution
Reseting the bios to defaults is the normal resolution for failed overclock settings in the bios. Also resetting bios defaults does not reset the bios version it only resets the settings to their default values.

Billowleaf

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
I am the friend in the post, my pc specs are a ryzen 5 5600x, rx 580, asus b550m plus wifi, windows 10 home x64 and my new ram is Patriot Viper Steel ddr4 3600mhz 2x8gb. My old ram was 2x8gb 2666 mhz hyperx fury ddr4 ram. I got my new ram because mine was slow, so I put in my new ram and went into bios on the first bootup and because the ram was 3600mhz, and it had come at a base clock of a little or 1000mhz, I decided to turn it up to 2666, just so that I could see if it worked and then was going to go back and make it higher. Once I turn on the computer, my lights turn on and fans, but none of the peripherals respond (keyboard lights, mouse lights, anything on the monitors) Nothing happens on my screen and nothing In the pc hardware looks out of place, I tried all 4 of my ram slots, made 100% sure that they were plugged in, but nothing would come on. There was a dram light on my motherboard that is orange whenever I turn the pc on. I'm honestly not sure what to do because I looked it up and was not really able to find my exact problem.

Billowleaf

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
So should I clear the cmos? I was reading the motherboard manual and it says if it fails to boot after a bios change, clear the cmos and reset the motherboard to the default value. I’m going to try that and if I do that it should just have reset my bios to the original?

Billowleaf

Prominent
Feb 16, 2021
Thank you, I got it working after clearing the cmos by shorting out the 2 pins on the motherboard. I also got the ram working at a higher frequency and haven't had issues since.