Question My friends new PC is booting up, but is not posting, what's wrong?

TheUltraMarine

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
Hey everyone. So grim news, my friend just finished building his PC after 7 hours of hard work, all of the RGB lights up and all the fans start spinning, but it won't post. It always says "no signal" on the screen, he did have an incident where he accidentally took the CPU with the heatsink of the cooler right out of it's socket, but he checked and made sure there weren't any bent pins. (He's not a master PC builder so maybe he couldn't see one, but he was sure he didn't see any bent pins) He's unplugged the build, reseated the RAM as well as the GPU, and nothing has worked, I've told him to hold off on removing the cooler and cpu until we make sure there isn't another thing causing the problem, any ideas?

All you've really given us to go on is that some unknown mainboard with some unknown CPU, with or without potentially some unknown GPU, will not POST when using some unknown PSU....

System details, bitte....

(Admittedly, yanking a CPU out of it's socket is NOT a good start)

TheUltraMarine

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2016
All you've really given us to go on is that some unknown mainboard with some unknown CPU, with or without potentially some unknown GPU, will not POST when using some unknown PSU....

System details, bitte....

(Admittedly, yanking a CPU out of it's socket is NOT a good start)
Yeah my bad, however, it turns out my friend was plugging the hdmi DIRECTLY into the motherboard, instead of into the 1660. After working for 7 hours on the build he was so tired he couldn't remember that he needed to plug in the cable to gpu and not into the motherboard.