My Front USB 3.0 port is giving speed of USB 2.0

Jul 6, 2018
I have been using Corsair Spec 04 chassis and Mother Board intel db85fl. My front USB 3.0 port is giving a speed of USB 2.0. But the rear USB 3.0 ports are working fine.
Could you please gimme a solution to solve this problem...
I'm waiting for your responses.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
a) it's not the drive
b) it's thus the motherboard or the case/cable
c) probably not the motherboard since the rear ones work and it probably (can't confirm) shares a USB3 controller

d) thus it probably IS that USB3 cable or the front connection on the CASE causing an issue with resistance or something (I don't know how the HANDSHAKE process works that makes the USB device decide to jump down to USB2 mode)

*But again that's EXACTLY what happened to me except it was the USB3 cable going from the case to the USB3 device. Same thing this is perfectly possible from motherboard to case.

Can you contact Corsair and see if there's a spare cable, or is it a standard cable you can replace?
Jul 6, 2018

My rear 3.0 ports are working fine as I mentioned...
Then still your suggestion will be same or you will wanna tweak?

Not every motherboard has the same USB3 controller for the rear as the front.

So just to clarify:
The USB3 cable is going to the USB3 connector (just below the main power cable) on the motherboard, AND you are using the top BLUE USB3 header on the case not the other USB2 connection.

Assuming that what exactly is your sustained read/write to front and rear and to what device?

Jul 6, 2018

I'm using 1 TB External HDD by Seagate. I'm getting 85+ MBps speed from rear ports but from a front, I only get 38 to 40 MBps. So, that is problem.

Well I'm stumped... I had a similar issue but it turned out to be the USB3 cable itself being defective which was somehow causing the USB3 drive to revert to USB2.0 mode.

I replaced the USB3 cable and got full speed again.

I suppose it could be an issue with the cable between the motherboard and front USB3 slot basically causing the same issue I had. That's my best guess but it's not easy to replace.

Jul 6, 2018

Is there any other solution to resolve the problem?

a) it's not the drive
b) it's thus the motherboard or the case/cable
c) probably not the motherboard since the rear ones work and it probably (can't confirm) shares a USB3 controller

d) thus it probably IS that USB3 cable or the front connection on the CASE causing an issue with resistance or something (I don't know how the HANDSHAKE process works that makes the USB device decide to jump down to USB2 mode)

*But again that's EXACTLY what happened to me except it was the USB3 cable going from the case to the USB3 device. Same thing this is perfectly possible from motherboard to case.

Can you contact Corsair and see if there's a spare cable, or is it a standard cable you can replace?

Solution