My FX 8350 is bottlenecking my GTX 770???

robbie915

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013
Hello. I am beginning to think that my FX 8350 is bottlenecking my GTX 770. At first, I thought it was the graphics card itself, so I sent it in for an RMA. I got it back today, and still have the same issue.... very bad dropped frames. In almost all games, I usually stay at very high framerates, but very often, I get huge FPS drops making some games unplayable. What I noticed while playing BF4, is that when my GPU usage goes down causing my frame drops, my CPU usage goes up to about 85%. To me, this sounds like a case of a bottleneck. My FX 8350 is running at stock and so is my GTX 770. I have tried many other solutions to fixing the FPS drops, but none of them has worked so I think this is the problem. So I have a few questions.

Do I need to update my motherboard BIOs or something?

If so, how do I do that?

If the CPU is the bottleneck, what can I do to avoid it?

I used to have an R9 270X, and never had any problems with it. After I upgraded to the GTX 770, I began to have these problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just don't understand how an FX 8350 is bottlenecking a GTX 770, it just shouldn't be doing that right?

Specs:
FX 8350 at stock
MSI GTX 770 2GB at stock OC settings
Asrock 970 Extreme4
2x4gb Corsair XMS3 1333mhz
1TB Western Digital
Corsair CX750M
Plenty of airflow through my Fractal Design Define R4

Solution
Hmmm thats pretty strange then again bf4 is one of the buggiest games ever made but the fx 8350 runs bf4 as good as any cpu so thats a wierd one.

robbie915

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Ok so I justed started up BF4 to play until I got to a point at which I think it is bottlenecking. The CPU usage jumped up to 85%, and the GPU usage fell to 55%. It led to a pretty horrible and drastic FPS drop.

robbie915

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Ohhhh crap... I just elected your answer as the solution by accident. Anyone know how to fix that?

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
If you have the FX at stock I'm gonna say I'm pretty sure there is a bottleneck somewhere. The FX cpu's have a hard time with IPC (even worse than a Phenom 2), so an overclock would be a tremendous benefit. The 8350 is an awesome CPU it just favors higher clocks is all. The only way you can know for sure is to put a slight overclock and see if that helps your frames at all.

In most games being that the 8350 sits @ 4ghz you should have 0 problems but BF4 is HEAVILY CPU dependant when it comes to multiplayer. I have a suspicion an OC to 4.5 ghz would alleviate any problems you may be having. A few other things you should try is go into 'Nvidia Control Panel" and go through the options are set to "single display Maximum performance" and that the power management setting is set to "performance" setting. Then I would make sure to unpark all cores (just google there are a few free programs out there).

Other than that get back to me I would like to see how your progress is going. Make sure B4 you OC if you havent done it before to take the time to read a few articles on how to overclock the FX 8350 the correct way as to avoid damaging components.

paitjsu sadff

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
i have an fx-8320 and even at stock speed of 3.5ghz it feed my gtx780 oc to 99% all the time in bf4 multiplayer ultra preset 1080p...cpu usage hover around 60% amd most utilised cores gets to about 80%...so the cpu itself is not the problem but many user reported those strange framedrops and bottleneck feelings even some have core i7 4770 cpu...

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Ya BF4 is extremely buggy I wouldn't be surprised if it had nothing to do with the CPU at all and instead is a driver/game issue. But heck if he can try a small OC and see if that helps why not I guess.