My game framerate was fine until today

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
A couple weeks ago when I last played Assassin's Creed IV, I was getting framerate of 40-60 with everything except anti-aliasing maxed at 3840x2160 (my card is a GTX 1080). Now, my framerate is 10-20 at the same part of the game. Lately I've downloaded files but haven't installed any new programs, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I have no idea how to solve the problem and get decent game performance again. Could my card be defective?

Solution
You could always look at the restore and backup points made in windows.
If the files you downloaded or programs are not that important.
And you don`t mind loosing them.

To get your frame rates in games back to 40 to 60 Fps.
Take a look at each restore point made from last week by windows.
A backup or restore point is made for every bit of software you install on your system, or any windows updates.
If any were the cause of the lower frame rates you are now experiencing check each one for what was installed, on what date and time with a description of the software or change made.

Then simply select the restore point.
Let it run, and after it has finished , you system will restart and see if it fixed the problem.

Belphegore

Respectable
Mar 27, 2016
Is this only happening in Assassin's Creed IV, or have you tried to play other games as well?
Have you updated your drivers lately? If not, check for updates. If so, try to roll back to your previous ones to see if the update caused the change.

You could always look at the restore and backup points made in windows.
If the files you downloaded or programs are not that important.
And you don`t mind loosing them.

To get your frame rates in games back to 40 to 60 Fps.
Take a look at each restore point made from last week by windows.
A backup or restore point is made for every bit of software you install on your system, or any windows updates.
If any were the cause of the lower frame rates you are now experiencing check each one for what was installed, on what date and time with a description of the software or change made.

Then simply select the restore point.
Let it run, and after it has finished , you system will restart and see if it fixed the problem.

Solution

TYTSoldier

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

I accidentally clicked solution instead of reply. Thanks, I tried restore points but none worked, unfortunately, so I ended up reinstalling Windows 10. I'm now redownloading the game to see if it works. My Steam games weren't even loading, but at least that part appears to be fine now. Now to see if AC4 is back to the decent framerate on uplay. I found another thread a moment ago that mentioned malwarebytes solving a similar problem. I now wish I had tried that first instead of losing a lot of data.