Question My game heeps having lag spikes

Aug 20, 2020
For about a week or so, my computer has been having random lag spikes, even though my internet is good, and I have full bars. My phone has no problem on the internet, my brother's PS4 has no problem on the internet, Netflix has no problem on the internet, nothing except my PC has this problem, specifically when playing online games.

Yes, I am using WiFi, but plugging in an Ethernet cable is not an option for me. I still live with my parents, the router is downstairs, my computer is upstairs so I can't just run a cable down there. My family would not be keen with me bringing the router to my room and hogging all the internet either.

This may seem like maybe too many people are using internet, but even when i'm home alone, this happens. There are times where the lag spikes 3-4 times in a row for a few seconds. I've tried the turn off and on my router, disconnecting and even forgetting the network and rejoining.

I've even brought my PC downstairs near my router (in the living room) so me and friends could play Jackbox and we still experienced lag spikes.

Side story (not important to read, but to help get perspective on this issue):

I was playing Warzone with my brother, he was dead and I was in a car, going to revive him. The game felt normal, and all of a sudden i got the shot up and died within a millisecond. I watched the footage and on the enemies screen, the car I was driving was just stationary and the enemy killed me easily. To my brother, I was just stationary also, meaning on his end, everything was working fine.

For about a week or so, my computer has been having random lag spikes, even though my internet is good, and I have full bars. My phone has no problem on the internet, my brother's PS4 has no problem on the internet, Netflix has no problem on the internet, nothing except my PC has this problem, specifically when playing online games.

Yes, I am using WiFi, but plugging in an Ethernet cable is not an option for me. I still live with my parents, the router is downstairs, my computer is upstairs so I can't just run a cable down there. My family would not be keen with me bringing the router to my room and hogging all the internet either.

This may seem like maybe too many people are using internet, but even when i'm home alone, this happens. There are times where the lag spikes 3-4 times in a row for a few seconds. I've tried the turn off and on my router, disconnecting and even forgetting the network and rejoining.

I've even brought my PC downstairs near my router (in the living room) so me and friends could play Jackbox and we still experienced lag spikes.

Side story (not important to read, but to help get perspective on this issue):

I was playing Warzone with my brother, he was dead and I was in a car, going to revive him. The game felt normal, and all of a sudden i got the shot up and died within a millisecond. I watched the footage and on the enemies screen, the car I was driving was just stationary and the enemy killed me easily. To my brother, I was just stationary also, meaning on his end, everything was working fine.
Have you tried using malwarebytes?

TRENDING THREADS