[SOLVED] My game keeps crashing, how do I tell if it's cause of my PC or a fault in the game?

ABigGoofyGamer181

Commendable
Feb 16, 2021
So I was playing through the Witcher 2 and within an hour of playing the game crashed. Kept going until it crashed a second time. Both times the game would freeze but the audio would continue. If i clicked off the game, it would close and exit to desktop. Event viewer doesn't have any info on it and there's no error message. I did some sleuthing and found that other people seem to have a similar problem, but there were many exceptions. After exiting the area where the crashes occured, I started having random freezes w/audio. Unlike the crashes before, I wasn't brought back to my desktop. Instead I had to close the program myself. Again, nothing in event viewer. How do I tell if it's a problem with my computer or the game's fault? If it's my PC, any recommendations on where to bring it in for repairs? Here's a list of my specs-
Ryzen 7 2700x
RTX 3070 founders ed
16 gigs of corsair vengance
500gb samsung ssd
2tb hdd
Corsair RM650W

Solution
Which Corsair 650w is it, with a green, white or gray label? Did It crash before the 3070 if you have the the rest longer and if so so what GPU was installed before. Maybe a driver conflict and a run of DDU in safe mode and a reinstall of the GPU driver from Nvidia may be all that is needed. But more info would be a great help in diagnosing the problem.
So I was playing through the Witcher 2 and within an hour of playing the game crashed. Kept going until it crashed a second time. Both times the game would freeze but the audio would continue. If i clicked off the game, it would close and exit to desktop. Event viewer doesn't have any info on it and there's no error message. I did some sleuthing and found that other people seem to have a similar problem, but there were many exceptions. After exiting the area where the crashes occured, I started having random freezes w/audio. Unlike the crashes before, I wasn't brought back to my desktop. Instead I had to close the program myself. Again, nothing in event viewer. How do I tell if it's a problem with my computer or the game's fault? If it's my PC, any recommendations on where to bring it in for repairs? Here's a list of my specs-
Ryzen 7 2700x
RTX 3070 founders ed
16 gigs of corsair vengance
500gb samsung ssd
2tb hdd
Corsair RM650W
Not geek squad it comes back more broken.... Missing screws, and hopefully not dead.... "Poor poor laptop" ;(

Not they're fault though a full laptop brought to them never open before or screws even touch before, over heating only....... Never left it's windows boot screen again.... I just can't bring myself to wipe it they claim they only rethermaled and replaced every part given to them...

Which Corsair 650w is it, with a green, white or gray label? Did It crash before the 3070 if you have the the rest longer and if so so what GPU was installed before. Maybe a driver conflict and a run of DDU in safe mode and a reinstall of the GPU driver from Nvidia may be all that is needed. But more info would be a great help in diagnosing the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: white.a.drew
Solution