[SOLVED] My games and GPU benchmarks crashes

smhgs92

Commendable
Oct 8, 2017
Hi folks.

I'm using a faily old laptop, Acer Aspire 5740g. I've been using it for 10 years now without any problems but lately I started to have some problems and I think it's about the graphics card. It has a 'ati mobility radeon hd 5650'.

I've been gaming with this laptop for years and few weeks ago my games started to crash. First it goes to a black screen with some white stings, and after a second either the game closes without an error message or the game goes to the background and becomes 'not responding'.

I've tried some GPU benchmarks and it behaves the same with them too, crashes happen in the first 30 seconds of the games or benchmarks so I don't think it's an overheating problem.

I've tried clean uninstalling the driver with DDU and reinstalling the latest drivers but still have the same issue.

Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Your on the right tracks buddy , it is most likely ati mobility radeon hd 5650, i have no idea how did you game with this thing for SO long. I would usually start long streak of troubleshooting methods but with amd 6*m and 56M series its almost always the chip going bad from long overheating (basically a design flaw)

If your cpu has integrated hd graphics then you can try disabling amd in bios
Your on the right tracks buddy , it is most likely ati mobility radeon hd 5650, i have no idea how did you game with this thing for SO long. I would usually start long streak of troubleshooting methods but with amd 6*m and 56M series its almost always the chip going bad from long overheating (basically a design flaw)

If your cpu has integrated hd graphics then you can try disabling amd in bios

Solution