Question My games are freezing all the time

Ferfolho

Reputable
Dec 3, 2019
So, basically, as the title says, my pc is strangely freezing randomly while i'm gaming.
I've alrealdy tried most of what i could, deleted the temp files, reinstalled my GPU driver manually (wich actually kind of helped; the freezing takes more time do happen, instead of just happening after 4 minutes of gameplay. Now it takes 10 minutes, usually) runned a memory check, increased virtual memory, used the system file checker (wich said there was absolutely no problems) and already used CCleaner.
It's not overheating nor GPU/CPU bottleneck. I have, honestly, zero idea about what is happening.
Specs:
GeForce GTX 650
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
8GB of RAM
Windows 10
(sorry for my english)

Ferfolho

Reputable
Dec 3, 2019
cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?
ram/hdd/sdd usage during the game?
Tested just about now.
CPU/GPU temp is around 60-65C
GPU goes around 60-80% usage and rarely 90%. CPU is stabilized at 60-70% usage.
Ram is around 5400wb.
BTW, my game (wich is TF2) usually keeps around 150fps. Maybe i should cap it?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
So, basically, as the title says, my pc is strangely freezing randomly while i'm gaming.
I've alrealdy tried most of what i could, deleted the temp files, reinstalled my GPU driver manually (wich actually kind of helped; the freezing takes more time do happen, instead of just happening after 4 minutes of gameplay. Now it takes 10 minutes, usually) runned a memory check, increased virtual memory, used the system file checker (wich said there was absolutely no problems) and already used CCleaner.
It's not overheating nor GPU/CPU bottleneck. I have, honestly, zero idea about what is happening.
Specs:
GeForce GTX 650
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
8GB of RAM
Windows 10
(sorry for my english)

Before going off on a wild goose chase about your specifications, you need to perform device hardening and address the boat load of services running quietly in the background that don't even show up in task manager. Type 'services' in your search bar and the application should pop up that's responsible for managing these services. Research every single one of them before disabling them so that you don't end making your PC inoperable, at which point a system restore will be necessary. Once this is done, shut your PC down and reboot it. This is literally the only thing that solved my games freezing every five seconds among other things.

Ferfolho

Reputable
Dec 3, 2019
Before going off on a wild goose chase about your specifications, you need to perform device hardening and address the boat load of services running quietly in the background that don't even show up in task manager. Type 'services' in your search bar and the application should pop up that's responsible for managing these services. Research every single one of them before disabling them so that you don't end making your PC inoperable, at which point a system restore will be necessary. Once this is done, shut your PC down and reboot it. This is literally the only thing that solved my games freezing every five seconds among other things.
Did exactly what you said.
No results.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
Did exactly what you said.
No results.

So you went through the entire list and it still didn't work? Mind you, it didn't work right away for me either, which is why I had my doubts that this was what fixed it. I'm just positive that it is because like a lot of people, I tried literally everything else before it and got no results. It seems like this was the only thing that worked at all. Be that as it may, It's easy for me to just say the ram is the issue, and you probably should get another 8 gigs since ram is relatively cheap anyway, but we live in a society where spending more money is supposed to fix everything, and that's not always the case especially when it comes to computers. I just spent over $900 for a borderline top of the line PC and still ran into the exact same issues from my previous build. This is why I wouldn't start off with specifications as the culprit. I would uninstall CCleaner and cap the FPS as well just for hell of it. I'd start at 60 frames and work my way up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ferfolho

Reputable
Dec 3, 2019
I seem to have missed an important notification here:
"Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware"

Perhaps this is related to the freezing. Any ideas on how to solve it?

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
I seem to have missed an important notification here:
"Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware"
Perhaps this is related to the freezing. Any ideas on how to solve it?

I have to go to work, so I can't really answer that for you at the moment, but I would just google it and see what others say. Google is your best friend when it comes to PC's.

Ferfolho

Reputable
Dec 3, 2019
So, it's been a long time.
I ended up formatting my pc, wich solved the "Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware" problem, but didn't ended the freezing. After some testing, i noticed that the freezing is way more common when there is high fps, and that it generally doesn't freeze at all when in vsync mode. I'm suspecting my GPU is "locking", or something like this. I'm workin' on how to solve it.

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
So, it's been a long time.
I ended up formatting my pc, wich solved the "Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware" problem, but didn't ended the freezing. After some testing, i noticed that the freezing is way more common when there is high fps, and that it generally doesn't freeze at all when in vsync mode. I'm suspecting my GPU is "locking", or something like this. I'm workin' on how to solve it.

Then I would keep the games in vsync mode since that seemed to solve the issue. I would also highly suggest you buy another 8gbs of ram as well. Your issues could just as easily be the games struggling due to a lack of memory.

Ferfolho

Reputable
Dec 3, 2019
I think i (probably) solved my problem.
I've noticed that there was a program preventing my PC from shutting down; It was just called "G". After a little bit of research, i discovered that it was some kind of Google Backup program. I uninstalled Google, just for the sake of testing, and so far it has solved every problem i had with freezing. May be a false alarm, i'll come back later with the answer.

Ferfolho

Reputable
Dec 3, 2019
Yep, false alarm. Still freezing in most games, with some rare exceptions. Even old games like Half Life 2 are freezing... But for some reason, Team Fortress 2 is intact, while having higher RAM/CPU/GPU consume and a high fps as well, TF2 seems to not be affected.

TRENDING THREADS