[SOLVED] My games are getting very laggy (fps)

Mar 20, 2020
My games recently got very big fps drops, also tried new COD warzone, which I should be able to run but I can run it max on 20-40 fps. I think there might be some problem in my system and it would need hard reset but I got a lot of photos and stuff on here and I don't have an external ssd disk so I'd have nowhere to put it. Any recommendations? My laptop is Acer predator g5-793. Thank you

Solution
There are third party utilities that do disk cleanups.

However, for the most part I simply stay with Window's built in cleaner.

CCleaner (free) can be used but I have not done so for quite awhile.

In any case backups must be done beforehand. Especially for your photos and stuff.

======

Will add another suggestion: Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just use only one at a time) to observe laptop performance.

Boot up, open either tool and just watch for awhile. Gain a sense of what is running on your system and what resources are being used and to what extent.

Then, leaving the window open (just drag to oneside) launch the game. Again watch and see what changes.

Especially when the fps drops.

May take a few trial and...

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

How much storage on your system? How full? No drive should be more that 70-80% full. (My limit anyway.)

Find a way to back up your photos and stuff: USB drives of any sort, online, buy or borrow an external drive.

Use Copy - not Move.

Just be sure to verify that the files are recoverable and readable.

Protect your data. Remember that at this point anything you do could cause loss of data.

Be careful

Mar 20, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition?

How much storage on your system? How full? No drive should be more that 70-80% full. (My limit anyway.)

Find a way to back up your photos and stuff: USB drives of any sort, online, buy or borrow an external drive.

Use Copy - not Move.

Just be sure to verify that the files are recoverable and readable.

Protect your data. Remember that at this point anything you do could cause loss of data.

Be careful
Sorry, I got I7 -6700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060, 16 GB RAM. Windows 10.

I bought the laptop almost 3 years ago, the condition is very good, havent had any problem with it, it's also not temperature problem, it's not overheating.

Storage shouldnt be a problem I cleaned up a bit, C: is 67GB free out of 237, and D: 719GB free out of 931GB.

If I'll have to reset everything I will find a way to backup my things but now everything is closed so that's why I don't want to bother go out and find an ssd or USB or something. Would you recommend to reinstall everything or do you have any idea what it could cause? I saw other post here where the problem was that RAM wasnt using enough MHZ, where can I check how much is my ram using and how much it should be using?

Thank you.

Ralston18

Titan
I would not reinstall everything as the problem remains unidentified.

Your C: drive is roughly 72% full and just getting into my limit values.

When you cleaned up the drive(s) did you use Windows Disk Cleanup and include the System Files?

Again my overall concern is that you do not lose data.

Try to get another USB drive - preferably one with its' own power supply. Or maybe just an enclosure kit in which you can install another drive. Maybe borrow a drive from a family member or friend.

Another thought: Being a three year old laptop used for gaming there is some likelihood that the PSU may be nearing design EOL (End of Life).

As for RAM and MHz that is getting into overclocking territory and if your system and/or PSU is not up to handling the wattage requirements then more problems could occur.

You can use utilities such as Speccy and HWinfo64 to view RAM settings. However, I would not be optimistic about overclocking making any meaningful difference. Overall, probably should be left as is.

And do remember that more and more people are on the internet so it is very likely that internet performance and popular websites may all slow down.

Mar 20, 2020
I would not reinstall everything as the problem remains unidentified.

Your C: drive is roughly 72% full and just getting into my limit values.

When you cleaned up the drive(s) did you use Windows Disk Cleanup and include the System Files?

Again my overall concern is that you do not lose data.

Try to get another USB drive - preferably one with its' own power supply. Or maybe just an enclosure kit in which you can install another drive. Maybe borrow a drive from a family member or friend.

Another thought: Being a three year old laptop used for gaming there is some likelihood that the PSU may be nearing design EOL (End of Life).

As for RAM and MHz that is getting into overclocking territory and if your system and/or PSU is not up to handling the wattage requirements then more problems could occur.

You can use utilities such as Speccy and HWinfo64 to view RAM settings. However, I would not be optimistic about overclocking making any meaningful difference. Overall, probably should be left as is.

And do remember that more and more people are on the internet so it is very likely that internet performance and popular websites may all slow down.
I havent used any software to clean it up, and I didn't clean system files, just cleaned up manually files that were taking too much space, and deleted some software aswell. Should I try to use some software to do system files cleanup? Also what I've noticed for example when I turn on COD warzone, and just wait in lobby my fps starts around 150-200, and if i just leave it 1-2 minutes and do nothing it drops by itself to very low like 30-40.

Ralston18

Titan
There are third party utilities that do disk cleanups.

However, for the most part I simply stay with Window's built in cleaner.

CCleaner (free) can be used but I have not done so for quite awhile.

In any case backups must be done beforehand. Especially for your photos and stuff.

======

Will add another suggestion: Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor (just use only one at a time) to observe laptop performance.

Boot up, open either tool and just watch for awhile. Gain a sense of what is running on your system and what resources are being used and to what extent.

Then, leaving the window open (just drag to oneside) launch the game. Again watch and see what changes.

Especially when the fps drops.

May take a few trial and error efforts to establish the observation process before you are able to discover some possible culprit.

And then repeat a few times to ensure that there is some consistency to your findings.

Could be that some app in the background is trying to update, backup or phone home,

Solution

TRENDING THREADS