Question My Gaming Laptop is very hot.

May 6, 2019
Hi! I am a gamer, and while I am playing GTA V with my friends, it's like there is an airplane in the room. I mean, seriouslly. I was playing GTA V today and my uncle came in the room and asked what was that noise. The laptop has an i7-6700k, a gtx 950m 4GB, and 16 GB of DDR4 memory. Someone please tell me what can I do to stoop this. Thanks!

Is it safe to assume that it wasn't always as loud as it is now? It's progressively gotten worse over time?

If that's the case, that's very common, and is caused by dust build up. Your best bet is to get a can of compressed air and blow it out as best you can. If you are a techy at all, open the laptop up to blow it out even better. Or if you REALLY want to fix the problem, replace the thermal paste on the GPU/CPU, but on laptops that is a major job.

Blackink

Distinguished
My son used his Dell XPS 17" laptop for gaming and he never cleaned it. He ended up using a laptop cooler to keep the temps down. We ended up with the laptop after he built a desktop PC and that laptop was full of dust.
I ended up tearing the laptop completely apart to see what was wrong.
The little air circulation wheel and the air chute deflectors (or whatever you call them inside the laptop) were just full of dust. The was no air circulation at all.
I haven't needed a cooler since the cleaning!

If you still have thermal issues even after laptop is clean of dust and has ample airflow,

Download HW monitor and Intel xtu to check for thermal/power limit throttling.

I had thermal throttling in my Asus fx504 with 8300H.

Solved it by having a negative 0.15v core voltage offset in Intel xtu.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
You can download it for free. There are serveral tutorials on youtube, but basically you just need the vcore voltage offset slider and reduce by small steps until you get instability of the system.

On my notebook with I believe an i7 6700 I settled with -130 mV.

May 17, 2019
In general, it's dirt and/or heat that cause most of the problems - and eventually the failure of - our computers, cars, air conditioners, etc...
So, HEAT is a BIG DEAL. (Remember that.) Now, the jet engine that your uncle heard was the fans desperately trying to remove the heat from inside the laptop case. (This is important to remember. We REMOVE HEAT, we don't ADD COOLING.) So you need to allow the fans room to exhaust that hot air out. Can you put the laptop on a stand of some sort, that allows plenty of airflow? The key point is that the bottom of the laptop can not be covered by resting on a wide surface. Only some pegs, or "feet" to raise it up. Hope that kinda makes sense. I'm terrible at explanations. :(

Thanks for the xtu tip guys.
So far this coffee lake i7-8750h with the gtx 1060 is at -0.150 undervolt.
Hwinfo64 showed 1.15v max.
It was @1.27 max
Cpu 63-67c @3.899ghz
Gpu 67-70c running unigene heaven benchmark.
On a laptop stand/fan.

OP give what the guys suggested a try elevate and undervolt.
Thanks Again Guys!!!!!!!!!!!

catboat1

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Hi! I am a gamer, and while I am playing GTA V with my friends, it's like there is an airplane in the room. I mean, seriouslly. I was playing GTA V today and my uncle came in the room and asked what was that noise. The laptop has an i7-6700k, a gtx 950m 4GB, and 16 GB of DDR4 memory. Someone please tell me what can I do to stoop this. Thanks!
I can suggest a couple things is make sure the intake vents on the bottom of the laptop are not blocked. Don't set the laptop on your bed that's could be blocking the intake vents. Also try a laptop cooler. I have a Thermatake TM and it comes with two fans that force the cool air into the intake vents. Doctor Digital