Question My gaming laptop is not fully utilising the GPU ?

sayttin

Honorable
Apr 28, 2018
MSI GP66 Leopard Gaming Laptop
Specs:
Intel i7 11800H
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
16GB RAM
1TB SSD

I have had this pc for about 1 year. I have never had any issues playing games on this and can run all AAA titles on high - Ultra.

All of a sudden in the past week all games have become virtually unplayable. Extremely low frame rate and lag.
So I downloaded the latest drivers for my GPU hoping it was a driver issue but this did not change anything.
I tried using windows recovery to recover to an earlier state but it did not work and now it says that I do not have any more restore points.
So I started trying to trouble shoot using google which always returns the same result telling me to update drivers.
I then thought I would try ChatGPT and ask it to help me. This lead me to opening task manager while playing a game to see what resources could be bottle necking the pc
The game I have been using to test is Ready or Not.
While in game I switch to task manager and under performance it is stating my RTX 3070 is only using about 30% sometimes lower and my Intel UHD graphics is on 98%

This leads me to believe that for some reason the computer is using my Intel graphics as the main GPU. So I tried using Nvidia control panel to force the computer to make my RTX 3070 the main GPU.
However it seems this does not work anymore and it states that windows now decides which GPU to use.
I then used the windows graphics settings to force it to use my RTX 3070 while playing Ready or Not.
This had no effect and made no changes.

I then tried installing an older Nvidia driver which also had no effect. I then gave up and did a clean re install of the latest Nvidia driver and went to work.
When I returned home I tried playing Ready or Not and it was running great. I opened task manager and my RTX3070 was running about 85% so I thought that this issue had somehow resolved itself. I tried playing other games and they all were running great like they used to.

Then I woke up this morning and my screen was black which happens every so often when I leave this running and the only way to get it going again is to restart the computer. So I restart the computer and all of a sudden its back to playing games poorly again. I tried doing another clean install of the drivers but it made no change this time and I can not for the life of me figure out what is bottle necking the pc and why. My GPU is not overheating my temps are quite low if anything. I really do not know how to trouble shoot this. I do not understand computers enough to figure it out. I my have mislead myself thinking that the PC is running of the intel UHD graphics because for all I know it uses both at the same time I have no idea how things work.

I really just do not understand how the computer can be fine for nearly a year and then all of a sudden decide to change. Maybe a windows update ruined it?

Any advice and help anyone may have would be greatly appreciated

Lutfij

Titan
Did you use DDU to uninstall all GPU drivers off of your platform? You're advised to manually install the latest drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Check and see if your laptop is pending any BIOS updates. You should consequently check to see if your OS is pending any updates.

sayttin

Honorable
Apr 28, 2018
Sorry computer dummy here, I have no idea what DDU is? I uninstalled the drivers using the add remove programs before installing them. I did not run as administrator when installing so I will try that. Sorry I should have also stated in my original post that I have checked and completed all windows updates including the optional updates I thought were relevant.

sayttin

Honorable
Apr 28, 2018
So further investigation found that my pc has two graphic modes. It has MSHbrid graphics mode which uses both and Discrete Graphics mode which uses my RTX 3070 exclusively. So I switched to Discrete graphics hoping it would now use 100% of my GPU however it was still using only 30% of my GPU and the game was still bottlenecking. So Im guessing that the issue I am having is not about what GPU the OS choosing to use its that the RTX 3070 is not performing like it is suppose to and that is why the system is using 100% of the Intel graphics