My Gaming PC Build. Any suggestions?

GreenBaconPirate

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
Hi guys, I'm planning to build a Gaming PC. Here's the specs. Feel free to suggest or leave a comment so that I would be able to compare before I actually order the parts.

Core i7 4790k CPU
Gigabyte GTX970 (will go SLI in the future)
Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 5 or Gigabyte-UD3H-BK mobo (what's better, durability and gaming wise?)
Corsair Vengeance 1866 4GBx2 RAM
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
Seasonic X650
WD 1TB Blue HDD
Crucial MX100 128GB SSD (For bootup)
Corsair Carbide Air 540 (or suggest any case with good airflow and cable management in the same price range.)

I will hope for your kind reply! Thank you in advance guys! :D

Solution
Looks good.
Take your pick on the motherboards.

My thoughts on the rest:
I have become a bit jaded on the subject of haswell cooling for overclocking.
How high you can OC is firstly determined by your luck in the bin lottery.
I had high expectations from the Devil's canyon parts and their better thermals.
I found out that the thermals really do not matter unless, perhaps, you are a competitive overclocker.
Haswell runs quite cool, that is, until you raise the voltage past 1.25v or so.
Once you go past 1.3v, then you really do need very good cooling to keep stress loads under say 85c.
But, the consensus is that voltages higher than 1.30 are not a good thing for 24/7 usage.
I have been unable to find any official Intel recommendation on...
Looks good.
Take your pick on the motherboards.

My thoughts on the rest:
I have become a bit jaded on the subject of haswell cooling for overclocking.
How high you can OC is firstly determined by your luck in the bin lottery.
I had high expectations from the Devil's canyon parts and their better thermals.
I found out that the thermals really do not matter unless, perhaps, you are a competitive overclocker.
Haswell runs quite cool, that is, until you raise the voltage past 1.25v or so.
Once you go past 1.3v, then you really do need very good cooling to keep stress loads under say 85c.
But, the consensus is that voltages higher than 1.30 are not a good thing for 24/7 usage.
I have been unable to find any official Intel recommendation on what is a safe vcore limit.
If you are an enthusiast, you can go higher.
Even if you can handle the heat, how much do you really need that extra multiplier from say 4.4 to 4.6?
My thought is that it is better to use the $100 H100i cooling funds for a quieter and less expensive air cooler.
I suggest a good tower air cooler like noctua or phanteks with 140mm fans.

Corsair is fine for ram(as is most any other brand) but pick a low profile version.
Heat spreaders are marketing mostly and will interfere with many air coolers.

Planning for dual cards will cost you extra up front.
If you are planning on a 4k monitor or triple monitor gaming, then that is appropriate.
sli GTX970 would perhaps have a slightly stronger psu(but Seasonic is tops and has extra headroom)
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

I like the case.

Love a SSD for the "C" drive. But 120gb can fill up quickly.
I suggest you buy a 240gb ssd up front and add a hard drive later when you need more space.
Samsung EVO and Intel would be my picks.

Solution