Question My gaming pc has pretty good specs, but i get HORRIBLE fps drops in game

Aug 26, 2019
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/19546665 my specs

also, corsair h80i v2 liquid cooler, i get horrible fps in league of legends like 65, 120 in cs, but on top of already low fps. i get massive drops or stutters for like 3 seconds where it goes to 33 fps or something and for those few seconds i literally cant even play at all. my whole computer is unusable for a few seconds. my cpu runs at like 45 celcius consistently and gpu stays cool, my ram are next to each other in the mobo cause the computer wont boot if i try it in any other combo than the two they're in, so i dont think im getting dual link usage. i know theyre supposed to be spread, in task manager, it says my cpu is usually at like 60% when gaming, and it says power usage VERY HIGH, i think maybe that's the problem,. i literally dont know why my computer is so awful. its really upsetting and frustrating.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You need ram in either slots 2 & 4, or 1 & 3 for dual channel mode - stuck with single channel, so you're screwed there until you replace the motherboard.
If you mobo is still under warranty, have Asus replace it for you.

The OS drive is on the Kingston? It's almost full - as with any drive approaching max capacity, it slows down - if the OS is on it, this will impact everything else.

Your games are on the Seagate? It too, is almost full.
Check the health of your drives with this: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

What's your power supply?
The motherboard drivers are up to date?
1060 drivers updated?

Aug 26, 2019
You need ram in either slots 2 & 4, or 1 & 3 for dual channel mode - stuck with single channel, so you're screwed there until you replace the motherboard.

The OS drive is on the Kingston? It's almost full - as with any drive approaching max capacity, it slows down - if the OS is on it, this will impact everything else.

Check the health of your drives with this: https://crystalmark.info/redirect.php?product=CrystalDiskInfoInstaller

1060 drivers updated?
yes, ill clear some space on the ssd and the seagate. os is on the kingston, 1060 drivers are up to date, and i did a ddu recently and reinstalled fresh.. ill check into replacing the mobo. psu is a 600w evga, dont know the exact model

Aug 26, 2019

1060 drivers updated?

ran the crystal disk info you linked, and it says all 3 of my drives are "good" health status.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
yeah i plan to replace eventually, just tryna wait on that. still think my computer should run better than it does...
I wouldn't worry about that. Your ram speed isn't affecting your performance nearly that much.
Intel cpu performance isn't gated behind memory speed, unlike Ryzen. You might(depends on the game) see a 5 - 10 fps increase going from 2133 to 3200.
You can get away with a slower kit on Intel builds.
ran the crystal disk info you linked, and it says all 3 of my drives are "good" health status.
Ok. The cause of the drops would then be:
-The 2 near maxed out storage drives, one of which is for the OS, the other of which is an already slow(compared to SSDs) HDD.
-Being stuck in single channel mode because of a faulty motherboard.

Aug 26, 2019
I wouldn't worry about that. Your ram speed isn't affecting your performance nearly that much.
Intel cpu performance isn't gated behind memory speed, unlike Ryzen. You might(depends on the game) see a 5 - 10 fps increase going from 2133 to 3200.
You can get away with a slower kit on Intel builds.

Ok. The cause of the drops would then be:
-The 2 near maxed out storage drives, one of which is for the OS, the other of which is an already slow(compared to SSDs) HDD.
-Being stuck in single channel mode because of a faulty motherboard.
do you have any recommendations on where i could take my computer to just have a professional look at it/fix it? does bestbuy do that... im kinda grasping at straws here, dont know if you know anything, but id figure id ask cause i dont even know where to start looking, but im not competent enough to fix the issue myself. ive tried everything i know and im comfortable doing.

Aug 26, 2019
I wouldn't count on Best Buy to fix the faulty ram slots. That motherboard has a 3 year warranty. Call up Asus and have them fix it - if they can't, they'll send you a replacement.
i dont have any clue how to go about a getting a replacement, do i have a 3 year warranty, i didnt purchase anything extra, and on the asus website it said something about a 30 day, so i dont know if i even have 1 or if i do i dont have a code or anything :(

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
https://www.asus.com/us/support/callus (or you can chat with a rep online)
You still have the proof of purchase, yes? You should be able to get that from whoever you bought it from.
You don't need to purchase anything extra. The warranty came with the mobo. Be ready to provide PoP.

Aug 26, 2019
https://www.asus.com/us/support/callus (or you can chat with a rep online)
You still have the proof of purchase, yes? You should be able to get that from whoever you bought it from.
You don't need to purchase anything extra. The warranty came with the mobo. Be ready to provide PoP.
wow, thanks. youve gone above and beyond. i really appreciate it

TRENDING THREADS