My gaming rig won't start sometimes without a force shutdown 2 or 3 times

jondunbar33

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
Hey guys, I've been having this problem with my new gaming rig I recently built, and I can't seem to get it resolved. I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new Mobo or GPU.

My setup:
ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA
AMD FX 8350
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti OC edition
WD Black 1TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM SATA 6 Gb/s 64MB Cache
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 2.5" 250GB SATA III 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2, 80+ GOLD 850W, Fully Modular

Description of problem.

After coming back to my computer, and it being shut down for several hours, I try restarting it and it seems like everything turns on... the cpu..the gpu... all the fans... but my monitor stays black. Sometime (not all the time) I hear the windows 7 startup sound through my speakers, but still a black screen. So I have to force shutdown about 2 or 3 times before it takes me to the bios menu and I have to reconfigure settings (like setting my ram at the right freq.) and then I select "save and exit" and it shuts down. Usually the next restart, it will start up normally.

However, the weird thing is that it's very inconsistent. Sometimes it will just restart normally after the second try and I won't have to go through the bios to reconfigure settings.

and sometimes it starts up normally from the get go.

Also, it's inconsistent in that sometimes the date gets screwed up and I have to set that up again... but that's usually when it takes more than 3 tries for it to startup.

I replaced the CMOS battery and still nothing has improved...

The VGA_LED is a constant red when I'm having these problems. Once I get everything to boot then it goes away.

Let me know what you think?

Thank you!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You have the latest bios? "BIOS 1001 from 2017/07/28" Can check this in the bios itself. The tool hwinfo32 can also give this info,

download hwinfo32,
install and open it=click run,
in the top window which is the system summary you can see at the left low quarter the current bios
i know this will only work if you can get your pc running.

Tried the gpu in the second pcie slot?

jondunbar33

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

I used hwinfo and checked the bios... it says it's running bios 1001 from 6/7/2017 which makes sense because I just downloaded the latest bios from ASUS a few weeks ago.

I also tried the gpu in the second pcie slot and I had 10 consecutive boots that were succesful. However, it seems like even in the first pcie, after I go through the startup > FAIL > Startup > FAIL > Startup > Success bull crap in the beginning of the day, then it shuts down and boots up just fine for the rest of the day... The problem seems to come up whenever I leave the PC off for a while.....

So, I think I need to leave it off overnight with the GPU in the 2nd pcie slot and then try it in the morning. That will be the real test to see if that solves the problem. However, I would REALLY not prefer putting the GPU in the 2nd pcie slot because it puts the fans straight face down onto the PSU shroud (new thing they're doing with cases nowadays to make them look sleeker on the inside if you have a window looking into the PC). So, I'm worried about it overheating down there. I'm also worried that there is not as much bandwith in the 2nd pcie slot and that my GPU will run games slower (What do you think?).

On a side note, because I was curious about the GPU temperature, I checked CPU ID HW Monitor and it did not even show the GPU... like it did not detect it at all..... ??? Even though I was getting my video source from the GPU... so it was definitely working. I'm not sure why HW Monitor would not detect it in the 2nd pcie slot.

Anyways, let me know what you think... I'm really thankful for any help you have.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The purpose of trying the second PCIE slot is to test what's going on by control/experiment. It doesn't matter if you have less bandwidth for games for this purpose (and you need a high-end GPU to get more than a negligible difference in x8 vs. x16) nor is there likely a short-term heat issue to worry about. You can't solve problems if you can't isolate them.

jondunbar33

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

I agree with you. Sorry, I guess I got carried away with the thought of that being the only way to make my rig work and then just living with it. But, I understand... gotta isolate the problem first.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

Given that you just built the PC and should have fresh warranties on the parts, I'm hopeful we won't to resort to any "just live with it!" solutions.