Question My Gaming Rig would it be good?

Apr 27, 2019
Hi, first of all i'm not too good in english so please don't mind it as long as you understand.

I did a research(but still not sure) and have wishlisted these items from AMAZON. I have a full budget and I'm ready to buy it, but I'm still not really sure if this will run smooth or not, or something an explosion might happen like in my usual job at chemistry office. Please do tell me what to add or what to make sure.
So here it goes:

case: Cougar Panzer Evo RGB ATX Full Tower
cpu: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX
mobo: ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme Alpha X399
fan for the TR, should I go for- ASUS ROG Ryujin 360? or NOCTUA NH-U14S TR4-SP3 fan?
gpu: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti 11gb
ssd: Samsung Evo 970 1TB
ram: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB(16GB x 2) DDR4 3600
hdd: WD 60EZRZ 3.5 6TB
psu: ASUS ROG Thor 1200W

Appreciate it if someone could help me with this little problem.

Skpstr

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2013
TR isn't really a gaming processor.

It's like taking a dump truck to go get a few boards at the lumber store. Sure, it'll carry the boards easily, but a pickup truck, even though it can carry less, can still carry the boards easily, and is faster and handles better in traffic.

If you look at the 2700X compared to the 2990WX it's quite a bit faster single core. They both turbo a single core to about the same speed, (4.3 vs. 4.2)but the 2700X can turbo all its cores to 4.0, while the TR appears to (if I'm reading it right) only be able to turbo a single core.

At least until games use more than 8 cores, the 2700X is going to be better for gaming.

IMO, if you want the top processor suitable for gaming, and money is no object, get an i9-9900k. TR's strength is a lot of cores, and most games nowadays only use 4-6.

Last edited:

Rook_4

Reputable
Feb 25, 2016
.yes for gaming whenever it's my day off. it's kinda boring at home.

but what do you mean by "overkill for gaming" , is it that bad?
if you got tons of money then its fine , if not the thread ripper is certainly an overkill for gaming.
i9-9900k or i7-9700k will be good enough to meet your gaming needs, and you can use the saved money to buy a nice high refresh rate monitor and other gaming peripherals.