[SOLVED] My gaming system is not as powerful as I would like, where is it falling short?

MonstahHBR

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
Hey guys,

Ill try and keep this brief, I built a new PC last year as an upgrade from my old worn out one, primarily for gaming. I bought what I would consider decent parts for my budget at the time, but im still not really getting the performance I want in modern gen games. I have a 4k UHD monitor, but playing anything at that is impossible at the moment so i tend to play at 2560x1440 instead, but I'm struggling to hit 40fps let alone 60fps in games such as Metro Exodus, Control, Assassins Creed: Odyssey sometimes even at 1920x1080. My specs are listed below:

Motherboard: ASUS® PRIME Z370-P II: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700 (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache

RAM: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR 8G

Memory: 1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

PSU: CORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET

Im running windows 10 and im not overclocking as I wouldnt really know what I was doing.

I was hoping to be able to ruin things a bit better with these components but thats not the case, what do you guys think is the weakest component? I dont really have the budget for a complete rebuild at the the moment, but saving up for a new CPU etc is within my ability if necessary.

Thanks in advance,
- Harry

Solution
Try disable fullscreen optimisation too. I turn this off for every game. Setting for it is the games's exe compatibility tab.

It's a Win10 feature, borderless windowed mode and can have an effect on performance in some games.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I believe your system is fine and it's how games are configured graphically. Don't forget, even the best system possible today will struggle almost the same in 4k with uber details.

Do you use Geforce Experience to optimise games? If you do then try without it. It mostly gets settings wrong.

In 2 or 4k, disable antialiasing and try details, geometry, shadows a setting below ultra. You'd be hard pressed to really notice a difference between v.high and ultra but the system will.

MonstahHBR

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
I believe your system is fine and it's how games are configured graphically. Don't forget, even the best system possible will struggle in 4k with uber details.

Do you use Geforce Experience to optimise games? If you do then try without it. It mostly gets settings wrong.

In 2 or 4k, disable antialiasing and try details, geometry, shadows a setting below ultra. You'd be hard pressed to really notice a difference between v.high and ultra but the system will.

Hey Boju,

Yeah i dont use Geforce Experience setting as I noticed a similar thing, but i'll try messing around with the AA a bit like you suggest :)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try disable fullscreen optimisation too. I turn this off for every game. Setting for it is the games's exe compatibility tab.

It's a Win10 feature, borderless windowed mode and can have an effect on performance in some games.

Solution

MonstahHBR

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015

I didnt know about this, ill definitely give it a go, thanks!

Reactions: boju