My Gigabyte 6870 temp is 82-84C while playing dirt3, is that safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

megahmad

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
dirt3 maxed out, 1920*1080
gigabyte 6870 reference (http://www.rigam.cl/catalogo/images/uploads/GIGABYTE_6870.jpg)
quad q9650 @ 3.5ghz
My fan speed is set at auto.
it idles at 45c

is 84C a safe temp at load or should i RMA? (I can RMA easily from my friend's store)
My case has a good airflow tho.

Solution
In that case all you can do is make a decision about which matters more to you, lifespan of your graphics card, or noise. 82-84 is safe, but it will shorten the life of your card. If you don't intend to upgrade within the next 2 years or so, you'll want to crank up the fan to keep the temps lower. If you are going to upgrade to another card in the next two years, or you really care about noise, you can use the default fan profile, just don't be surprised if the card dies sooner. My 6870 does run a bit loud with the fan cranked up, but I don't really care as a wear headphones when gaming. If the noise is really a problem, you could try wearing headphones to alleviate that.
In that case all you can do is make a decision about which matters more to you, lifespan of your graphics card, or noise. 82-84 is safe, but it will shorten the life of your card. If you don't intend to upgrade within the next 2 years or so, you'll want to crank up the fan to keep the temps lower. If you are going to upgrade to another card in the next two years, or you really care about noise, you can use the default fan profile, just don't be surprised if the card dies sooner. My 6870 does run a bit loud with the fan cranked up, but I don't really care as a wear headphones when gaming. If the noise is really a problem, you could try wearing headphones to alleviate that.

Solution

megahmad

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010

Thnx mate, what temps do you get? and what fan profile do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.