My Gigabyte GTX980ti ExtremeGaming WF3X fans seems acting abnormal

apolloe11even

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
Hi everyone.
is there any concern? i don't know if it is GPU's cooler functionng or malfuntion ! this is my rig :
GAZ97XGaming 3 MOBO
i7 4790K 4.6GHz
16GB TridentX 2400MHz
GigabyteGTX980ti XtremeGaming 6GB
1000WATT GREEN.OC GOLD PSU
GREEN FUSION Chassis X5 Gaming
27"ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q
256GB SSD ADATA Pro 920
Edifier 5.1CH Audio 3D Sound
RAZER Tiamat 7.1CH Headset
Gamepad: 360& XBO
PS4 DualShock 4 Wireless

and i haven't any problem with it and everything's OK.
anyway, since its almost two weeks that i have bought this VCard and i don't remember if it acting like this so far , but i suddenly realized those 3 fans are still working a few rounds for a few seconds (2 - 5 seconds) and stop and repeat this function continually and GPU temperature is around 50-60 degrees. all these story is when the machine is idle and i absolutely know i don't remember fans acting like this before.(at least the very beginning of use this card) . i'm sure that i want to say the card is acts and working perfect when it's on the load when i'm playing games and working with apps . even under very heavy loads the temperature will not come up above 80 or 85 degrees. but when it's coming down and near or in the idle processing the temp hardly coming down below 50 or around ..
but i am sure at the beginning days the temperature acting was very very good as far as i know each time i did over checked with Gigabyte OC GURU II and HWmonitor , temperature was cool down very fast to at least 30 or 35 degrees and fans totally stopped.(fans STOP LED indicator lights up). i know that the Card is truly HUGE ! :) especially for my tower! and i had to somehow replace it in case :D (it was placed in PCIe x 8 before till today i replaced it in PCIe x 16)
should i worry about this or its not a serious thing?plz help me to make sure about it.
and it's good to know , my Gaming Tower chassis back to at least 6 years ago and it's fans (1 front , 1 back , and 1 top all the three is 120mm and a 250mm side fan) got problems and not working properly. and too much noisy with weak and low spin (i will buy some good fans for good air flowing in near future.. but if i've suppose to do better job then plz tell me any advice for better idea.).is this a reason connects to the video card strange acting ?any helpful advice would be Great!
Thanks.

Solution
Yeah it doesnt sound like you have any problem at all.

If you want you can use a program like MSI afterburner to set a custom fan curve, so you can have the fans running a constant slow speed from 0'c-60'c, then raising speed as the temp goes higher.

apolloe11even

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

first , Thanks for reply RobCrezz
honestly i'm worry about this happening . so i double checked several times, i found out the normal temperature looks like never gonna be come down below 58 or 60 ! and interesting to know that the fans spinning and spinning and spinning forever but low and not full spinning. and the STOP FANS indicator while it remains On but why 3 fans working yet !?i'm confused! is somebody here to enlighten me that , IS MY CARD STILL OK?? Because even I do not remember my graphics card temperature was constantly 60 degrees before.and the fans acted like this.
notice : i bought my card approximately near a 15 days. at first days of use maybe i did not pay attention or really its not happening this potential problem.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
Yeah it doesnt sound like you have any problem at all.

If you want you can use a program like MSI afterburner to set a custom fan curve, so you can have the fans running a constant slow speed from 0'c-60'c, then raising speed as the temp goes higher.

Solution

apolloe11even

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

Thanks once again. anyway , so just to be sure , i have to say my OS is Win 10 Enterprise x64 build 10586
and i'm using display driver 361.43 NVIDIA. and OC GURU II program for GPU clocks , LED's and more..
buddy can you confirm this , why just a few days ago the card's temperature was too cool around 30 or at least after heavy loads (near 70 or 80 degrees) it was so fast to cool down to 30 degrees but now it's always still 58 or 60 ?
it should be a config or the cuz of involvement of a particular program?

apolloe11even

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015

glad to seeing your replies buddy . is hope so whatever you said .
Thank you very much.

apolloe11even

Reputable
Feb 15, 2015
Hi all.
Honestly , beside of RobCrezz solutions and yes of course i'm appreciate it .. i felt missing something and here it is and not unpleasant.
i found out these solution which i think is the best for me and now i haven't any problem with my GTX 980 ti..
check these out :

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/38yhun/discussion_nvidia_users_with_a_high_refresh_rate/

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3931g5/980_ti_high_idle_temps_on_144_hz_monitor/

now my Card are completely cool down and everything just working great without using programs like : MSI AB , ASUS TWEAK ,etc.it's all about refresh rate on monitor , i just tried to reduce it from 144Hz to 60Hz or even 120Hz and yes , it's done. it's temps in idle is at the very least 30-34 and i have to say the part that i maybe mentioned before about fans is truly here : "The fans seem to trigger when it reaches 61, and it just bobs around the 60-61 mark so it just turns on and off constantly." from this forum : https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3zo7ku/help_gpu_temps_on_my_gtx_980_ti/?
anyway, Thanks to this big forum Tomshardware . i hope this Topic will help ppl who got problems like my GTX. and i really really hope that NVIDIA will solve this odd! in future driver updates :-\
Regards.