my gigalan onboard is bad!!!! I think

i have a p4p800 SE by asus with a giga lan onboard i also have
eastlink cable high speed using a Motorola Surfboard SB5100

the internet will just stop werking all of a sudden and i will have to
restart puter or unplug modem for 5 min i called eastlink and he said
that when the lan port fails he cant ping the nic card or the modem
if i turn the puter off he can ping the nic and modem?? he said it is
a bad card

the board is 3 days old i went and got a new nig card 10/100 and
working great

could it be cause it is a gigalan ??

IF anyone knows something to help me let me know please

==============

"rcmpayne" <rcmpayne@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> i have a p4p800 SE by asus with a giga lan onboard i also have
> eastlink cable high speed using a Motorola Surfboard SB5100
>
> the internet will just stop werking all of a sudden and i will have to
> restart puter or unplug modem for 5 min i called eastlink and he said
> that when the lan port fails he cant ping the nic card or the modem
> if i turn the puter off he can ping the nic and modem?? he said it is
> a bad card
>
> the board is 3 days old i went and got a new nig card 10/100 and
> working great
>
> could it be cause it is a gigalan ??
>
> IF anyone knows something to help me let me know please

What eastlink told you doesn't make sense. With the computer off, eastlink
should be able to ping the modem but not the nic. With the computer on,
eastlink should be able to ping the modem and the nic. Can YOU ping the
modem? When your Internet connection stops working, try pinging your modem
from a command prompt.

Start, Run, cmd (for windows xp)
At command line type
ping 192.168.100.1

Note that I believe your modem's IP is 192.168.100.1, but check the
documentation for your modem to confirm that.

If you can ping your modem, then the problem is NOT in your motherboard or
the onboard gigalan. But if your 10/100 NIC works, there's no arguing with
results. The gigalan should be backward compatible, though. -Dave

Stephen

On 6 Jul 2004 20:08:08 -0400, rcmpayne@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid
(rcmpayne) tortured a bunch of electrons for some unknown reason:

>i have a p4p800 SE by asus with a giga lan onboard i also have
>eastlink cable high speed using a Motorola Surfboard SB5100
>
>the internet will just stop werking all of a sudden and i will have to
>restart puter or unplug modem for 5 min i called eastlink and he said
>that when the lan port fails he cant ping the nic card or the modem
>if i turn the puter off he can ping the nic and modem?? he said it is
>a bad card
>
>the board is 3 days old i went and got a new nig card 10/100 and
>working great
>
>could it be cause it is a gigalan ??
>
>IF anyone knows something to help me let me know please

If you have a firewall installed, make sure it's not blocking your
pc's dhcp requests for ip renewal.

Stephen