[SOLVED] My good friend married into a family that had just taken on a money pit of a hotel. she asked me to come fix the wifi and two weeks later its worse.

Sep 26, 2020
Admittedly I am NOT an IT Tech! I build and fix things. There were so many issues i have fixed, but you can't tell. they just know its not working. I think my problem is because I'm not especially IT i don't think of the little things to do to solve and issue. like i didn't even think to do traceroute for a week.
Ive had to remove so much "extra" im down to a surfboard modem to netgear 5 port dumb switch to 1. Fortinet firewall router (thats perfect no prob. there) 2. D-Link 24 port switch (i have ALL the extra ethernets plugged into this in hopes that i don't miss something important. but i have no responsive lights on the switch : { ) 3. A netgear router (dhcp enabled. this starts my daisy chain) from the netgear is a tp link (dhcp disabled) ip changed to stay on sub and not overlap ips. to an att router (dhcp disabled, same setup.)
They have Ubiquity APs, but half the the POE injectors don't have a power light and i cannot seem to connect to them so im not sure if its me or them. OMG THEY WONT LET ME SLEEP OR EAT! PLEASE HELP!

Solution
You need to work very systematically starting at the internet and getting stuff to work. You want to make the network as simple as possible. Not sure why you have mulitple routers it will be easier with just 1.

Ubiquiti has 2 different types of PoE based AP. If they use the industry standard 803.ad then I would buy a switch that can provide power to the AP rather than using injectors. If it is the passive version of PoE then you need to keep the injectors or buy a switch from uniquiti that can proved this type of power. \

The injectors should be fairly simple to test. Take a AP you know is good and plug it into each injector. Of course make sure the injector is plugged into the power outlet. All these injectors is...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Admittedly I am NOT an IT Tech! I build and fix things. There were so many issues i have fixed, but you can't tell. they just know its not working. I think my problem is because I'm not especially IT i don't think of the little things to do to solve and issue. like i didn't even think to do traceroute for a week.
Ive had to remove so much "extra" im down to a surfboard modem to netgear 5 port dumb switch to 1. Fortinet firewall router (thats perfect no prob. there) 2. D-Link 24 port switch (i have ALL the extra ethernets plugged into this in hopes that i don't miss something important. but i have no responsive lights on the switch : { ) 3. A netgear router (dhcp enabled. this starts my daisy chain) from the netgear is a tp link (dhcp disabled) ip changed to stay on sub and not overlap ips. to an att router (dhcp disabled, same setup.)
They have Ubiquity APs, but half the the POE injectors don't have a power light and i cannot seem to connect to them so im not sure if its me or them. OMG THEY WONT LET ME SLEEP OR EAT! PLEASE HELP!

Hi @TekNykolTech

Nice of you to help out a friend. Troubleshooting network issues can be hit or miss. Might stumble onto the issue immediately or you might end up chasing gremlins.

How many room Hotel and I take it they are on a gigabit+ ISP?

If say under 50 rooms, would a central DOCSIS 3.1 modem linked to say an EERO tri-band mesh daisy chained 1 per 5-7 rooms with a pass worded access work? I'm sure I'm oversimplifying things but I'm just curious. A friend of mine is a master electrician and recently we were in Best Buy. This is what they used to cover a 100k sq. ft. store with Gb access.

We have a few network pro's here that will prob. be along here soon to tell you exactly what you need to do.

D

Deleted member 14196

You know what I would do I would tell them go hire an IT professional to do this job because I can’t and I would leave it at that and I would refuse anyone who asked me for help. If you are going to help then charge them $350 per hour and that should scare them off from asking you again because they’re just gonna keep coming back again and again and again and you’ll never get any sleep

Don't these things usually need to be on the same power circuit, or at least share the same ground or something?
If half of them don't work then that half is on a different breaker probably.
Don't touch anything electrical yourself the liability is crazy,plus you could kill yourself.

I'm not an expert, just saying.

Don't these things usually need to be on the same power circuit, or at least share the same ground or something?
Don't touch anything electrical yourself the liability is crazy,plus you could kill yourself.

You are thinking of powerline networks. PoE is a method of providing power over ethernet to AP.

You need to work very systematically starting at the internet and getting stuff to work. You want to make the network as simple as possible. Not sure why you have mulitple routers it will be easier with just 1.

Ubiquiti has 2 different types of PoE based AP. If they use the industry standard 803.ad then I would buy a switch that can provide power to the AP rather than using injectors. If it is the passive version of PoE then you need to keep the injectors or buy a switch from uniquiti that can proved this type of power. \

The injectors should be fairly simple to test. Take a AP you know is good and plug it into each injector. Of course make sure the injector is plugged into the power outlet. All these injectors is why a PoE based switch is nice.

If you can get the AP to at least get ethernet lights you should be able to use ubiquiti management software to configure them. This software is free and make running large number of AP much much simpler.

In any case you have lots of investigation to do. This is why IT guys charge so much money. It takes a long time to learn all the details on how things like this are suppose to work.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Start by creating a drawing of EVERYTHING. If you can't document it, you can't understand it.
Next you need basic ethernet troubleshooting tools. A POE tester. A cable tester and tracer. This goes back to first point. If you don't know where a cable GOES you can't intelligently use it.
TESTER with tracing -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-VDV501-852-Tester-Locates/dp/B08BDBB983/
POE TESTER -- https://www.amazon.com/PoE-Detector-IEEE-802-3-Passive/dp/B013P3DBQS
For Ubiquiti products, you want a device running the controller software. That is what provides the management dashboard.
Having a hodgepodge of manufacturers with both managed and unmanged devices is the first thing that should be fixed. NO unmanged devices.

Sep 26, 2020
Hi @TekNykolTech

Nice of you to help out a friend. Troubleshooting network issues can be hit or miss. Might stumble onto the issue immediately or you might end up chasing gremlins.

If say under 50 rooms, would a central DOCSIS 3.1 modem linked to say an EERO tri-band mesh daisy chained 1 per 5-7 rooms with a pass worded access work? I'm sure I'm oversimplifying things but I'm just curious. A friend of mine is a master electrician and recently we were in Best Buy. This is what they used to cover a 100k sq. ft. store with Gb access.

We have a few network pro's here that will prob. be along here soon to tell you exactly what you need to do.
Lol your faith in me is overwhelming I'm still in school for networking I think I got the look that people give me when I talk to them about what I do. I appreciate the response it is over 50 rooms though I believe it's about 150 it starts at 101 and goes to 250. It's just so frustrating because it's like playing pick up sticks you pick up one you think you're good but now something else is unstable and they don't understand that I'm excited because one thing's down and they think I'm excited it's fixed and then they're like it's just still no internet and everybody's freaking out. I'm about to go postal. part of the problem is that the guy before ran lines through the ceiling and there are a ton of lines but I can't figure out where they go. I literally took one of the cats out of the ceiling cut it in half and plugged up a router and I still have no response on my switch period where else could possibly go? It's frustrating it's been 2 weeks I want to go home I obviously put off more than I can chew but I don't think it was a lack of knowledge I think it was just too many issues for the assumed amount of time on both parts. I'm going to figure it out I don't know how but I fixed the poe injectors so I've got four working long range APS from ubiquityand that is plenty to cover this area if I can get them on as a standalone AP and I've got two Bridges a nano and a Pico station. Any ideas on those? like should I plug them directly to the first switch or do you think you'll be okay on the second switch I'm lacking sleep I find myself staring at things for at least 10 to 15 minutes before I even start to think about what I was going to do to it and then can't remember and have to try to remember so there goes another 2 hours needless to say LOL I want to go home please anything that you have to offer would be so greatly appreciated and I appreciate all of you answering so fast. Thank you!

Lol. Thank you I appreciate the concern no they use Poe injectors. Power over ethernet. And there's a light that comes on when they're getting power and only two of six worked however I have recently been blessed by a friend with a soldering iron and a little bit of time on their hands so I have fixed the poe injectors and I'm going to try to get those up because they're going to be more permanent than a daisy chain of routers.

Sep 26, 2020
Hi @TekNykolTech

Lol your faith in me is overwhelming I'm still in school for networking I think I got the look that people give me when I talk to them about what I do. I appreciate the response it is over 50 rooms though I believe it's about 150 it starts at 101 and goes to 250. It's just so frustrating because it's like playing pick up sticks you pick up one you think you're good but now something else is unstable and they don't understand that I'm excited because one thing's down and they think I'm excited it's fixed and then they're like it's just still no internet and everybody's freaking out. I'm about to go postal. part of the problem is that the guy before ran lines through the ceiling and there are a ton of lines but I can't figure out where they go. I literally took one of the cats out of the ceiling cut it in half and plugged up a router and I still have no response on my switch period where else could possibly go? It's frustrating it's been 2 weeks I want to go home I obviously put off more than I can chew but I don't think it was a lack of knowledge I think it was just too many issues for the assumed amount of time on both parts. I'm going to figure it out I don't know how but I fixed the poe injectors so I've got four working long range APS from ubiquityand that is plenty to cover this area if I can get them on as a standalone AP and I've got two Bridges a nano and a Pico station. Any ideas on those? like should I plug them directly to the first switch or do you think you'll be okay on the second switch I'm lacking sleep I find myself staring at things for at least 10 to 15 minutes before I even start to think about what I was going to do to it and then can't remember and have to try to remember so there goes another 2 hours needless to say LOL I want to go home please anything that you have to offer would be so greatly appreciated and I appreciate all of you answering so fast. Thank you!

Sep 26, 2020
Hi @TekNykolTech

Oh yes sorry they are on gigabit.

USAFRet

Titan
...so there goes another 2 hours needless to say LOL I want to go home please anything that you have to offer would be so greatly appreciated and I appreciate all of you answering so fast. Thank you!
AS above, you're trying to start in the middle of things.

You NEED to go back to the beginning, and document exactly what is there and how it is set up.
An actual labeled drawing. Either paper or Visio.

You can't fix what you don't know.
And their expectation of time involved are, as usual, completely wrong. The customer seems to think this is "easy". Should only take an hour or so.
Wrong.

Reactions: SamirD
Okay, so I'm about to become your best friend--I have owned and operated hotels with my family for the better part of 30 years and fixed botched Internet access like you're dealing with.

First and foremost--you need to understand the existing system completely, and what works and what doesn't and why. This is basically the step of documenting everything and figuring out where every wire goes. This is very important. The wire is your backbone and you need to know what you're working with.

Once you know the wiring, you need to understand the equipment on top of that, which it sounds like a lot of it has been damaged by power surges or whatnot. Not a problem as you can repair that stuff, but you need to know what it is supposed to be doing before you can repair it, right?

Once you have a good overview of these two things, then you can think about how to make it reliable and seamless. This is where we can help with some ideas on how to 'better' the network.

One thing you really need to keep in mind that if it is a franchised hotel, they are typically required to go through a 'approved vendor' (aka one that gives the franchisor kickbacks), and without and 'approved vendor' the franchisee can fail inspections and have their franchise pulled. If they're independent, they don't have this requirement and just need something that works.

Good luck and post back. Be calm and don't let their stress become yours--you're not getting paid for that. ;)

Reactions: TekNykolTech.
Sep 26, 2020
AS above, you're trying to start in the middle of things.

You NEED to go back to the beginning, and document exactly what is there and how it is set up.
An actual labeled drawing. Either paper or Visio.

You can't fix what you don't know.
And their expectation of time involved are, as usual, completely wrong. The customer seems to think this is "easy". Should only take an hour or so.
Wrong.
I agree wholeheartedly! I actually used e-draw Max and documented my daisy chain my numbers IPS gateways all that. the problem is I've tried so many different things and then it's something else is broken something else doesn't work and I'm spinning my wheels and I just need a Band-Aid for right now I don't need it to sparkle I just need it to stop bleeding so I can go home and spend some time with my boyfriend who is literally jealous of a hotel.
my Ros is acting up so I think I'm going to get up and take a walk it'll do me good to stop looking at the screen for a while period you want to come back my goal is to get these APS on the network period the long range ap's are mine so I know they work for a fact I just fixed these Poe's so I know they work it's going to be a matter of getting them on as standalone aps. Actually, do you guys recommend that I connect them directly to the head honcho so to speak Netgear or hook them into the d link 24 port switch? Any other words of wisdom? You know I've been in school for a great many different things and spent the last 7 years running my own business repairing well everything but mostly Android writing custom OS is things like that and I never had an interest in networking. It just never really interest me and then I take this job, and you would think Id absolutely hate it now, and this would have done me in for networking, but , I hate not knowing. I actually went back and signed up for a class because now I have to know! Thanks everyone wish me luck....

Sep 26, 2020
Okay, so I'm about to become your best friend--I have owned and operated hotels with my family for the better part of 30 years and fixed botched Internet access like you're dealing with.

First and foremost--you need to understand the existing system completely, and what works and what doesn't and why. This is basically the step of documenting everything and figuring out where every wire goes. This is very important. The wire is your backbone and you need to know what you're working with.

Once you know the wiring, you need to understand the equipment on top of that, which it sounds like a lot of it has been damaged by power surges or whatnot. Not a problem as you can repair that stuff, but you need to know what it is supposed to be doing before you can repair it, right?

Once you have a good overview of these two things, then you can think about how to make it reliable and seamless. This is where we can help with some ideas on how to 'better' the network.

One thing you really need to keep in mind that if it is a franchised hotel, they are typically required to go through a 'approved vendor' (aka one that gives the franchisor kickbacks), and without and 'approved vendor' the franchisee can fail inspections and have their franchise pulled. If they're independent, they don't have this requirement and just need something that works.

Good luck and post back. Be calm and don't let their stress become yours--you're not getting paid for that. ;)
I can't stop laughing, Yes you probably are about to become my best friend period and you couldn't come in a better time period because after the Band-Aid holds I'm going to rest and come back and do it right-er. The whole chasing down cables and seeing where they lead that's going to involve a whole lot at this point we're trying to get them through the inspection get ssids of old hotels off of the network because they got docked for that. I did go and binge fortinet, ubiquiti for the first week to learn their systems they don't know anything. They don't know the passwords for anything they don't know the names on anything they don't know email addresses I had to hack the firewall. Cox has talked to me so many times that they just started talking to me even though they're not really supposed to if you know what I mean. I have the phone number of the cell phone number of two technicians that were like just call me back if you have more questions. Unfortunately we're on different time zones so I got another 3 hours 4 hours before I can call. but I'm going to go take my dog potty because I just realized I promised him a very long time ago and he's been patiently waiting at the door for a good while and I think I've watched every video on YouTube LOL . Talk to you soon.

I can't stop laughing, Yes you probably are about to become my best friend period and you couldn't come in a better time period because after the Band-Aid holds I'm going to rest and come back and do it right-er. The whole chasing down cables and seeing where they lead that's going to involve a whole lot at this point we're trying to get them through the inspection get ssids of old hotels off of the network because they got docked for that. I did go and binge fortinet, ubiquiti for the first week to learn their systems they don't know anything. They don't know the passwords for anything they don't know the names on anything they don't know email addresses I had to hack the firewall. Cox has talked to me so many times that they just started talking to me even though they're not really supposed to if you know what I mean. I have the phone number of the cell phone number of two technicians that were like just call me back if you have more questions. Unfortunately we're on different time zones so I got another 3 hours 4 hours before I can call. but I'm going to go take my dog potty because I just realized I promised him a very long time ago and he's been patiently waiting at the door for a good while and I think I've watched every video on YouTube LOL . Talk to you soon.
haha, yeah definitely sounds like a hotel fix up. Unfortunately, we had to do that in the last days we owned some of our properties.

It actually sounds like you have good equipment there--just need to put something at the end of each plug you have and take a laptop and plug it in and see if you get a dhcp address to start figuring stuff out that's terminated and got ends. This was the first thing I had to do when I had to revamp one of our properties about 90 rooms across 4 buildings built in 1988. They were initially having multiple complaints a day and after I put in the system I did, I didn't hear from them but once every 2 years, and that was usually when an isp had an issue.

Reactions: TekNykolTech.