Question My Gpu a gtx970 burned out and i would to know how i can check my motherboard

Robert_187

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
so my gpu sort of caught fire and a fair amount of smoke came out i managed to get it out of my motherboard and off the psu before my whole pc went up. I have since rebooted the pc without the gpu in and everything is working as should be but i'm worried about putting a new gpu in which will be over £500 is there anyway to know if the slot is damaged or if the motherboard is damaged?, visually everything looks fine and it runs fine without the gpu in but could the motherboard have caused the gpu meltdown?

Robert_187

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
Please list full specs of your pc. Include PSU model also.

Motherboard would not have killed your GPU. It's either overclocking, excessive temperatures or bad PSU.
Did you overclock your GPU?

You could try first with some less expensive card and see, how it goes.
i5 4690k cpu
gigabite z97x-sli-cf motherboard
16 gb ddr3
gpu was the burned out gtx 970
500gb ssd samsung
1tb hd samsung
750w super flower psu
overclock on the cpu 4.4ghz done by overclockers uk
no overclock on the gpu but i've gamed with it for 4 years
i was playing division 2 when it went up

Last edited:
so my gpu sort of caught fire and a fair amount of smoke came out i managed to get it out of my motherboard and off the psu before my whole pc went up. I have since rebooted the pc without the gpu in and everything is working as should be but i'm worried about putting a new gpu in which will be over £500 is there anyway to know if the slot is damaged or if the motherboard is damaged?, visually everything looks fine and it runs fine without the gpu in but could the motherboard have caused the gpu meltdown?
Because the PC runs fine without the GPU, so either buy other cheaper GPU or borrow one from your friend to try out, before you put the £500 GPU in.