Question My GPU burnt, is it beyond repair ?

Jadeko

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
My EVGA GTX 1080 FTW just burnt a few days ago.

To give you context, i bought this model in 07/2016 and it burned on me on 12/2018, so the card was still on its 3 years warranty.
I received a replacement for it, same model, it just burned AGAIN on 06/2020, so only 1 year and 6 months after i received it.
Of course, if you do the maths we are now out of the 3 year warranty form the original card. I'm kinda pissed at EVGA and don't think i will buy from them again.

Because 2 CARDS burnt on me in the span of 4 years, i'm even suspecting something might be wrong with my pc...

Anyway, now that i know that they won't replace it, i decided to disassemble it to maybe see if it was fixable. I found 2 burnt spot. I'm definitely no expert, but it looks beyond repair to me.

I would love to have a second opinion tho.

Here is a link to photos of the GPU and the 2 burnt spots : View: https://imgur.com/a/CbKPhih

So thanks for answers ! :)

Jadeko

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
In order to burn up two card, let alone flagship cards, you have a power supply problem. What make model PSU?

Here is a list of my specs :
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3
GPU : EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
CPU : intel i7-6700k
RAM : G.Skill Ripjaws V Red DDR4 3000 MHz CAS 15

PSU : EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 - 650W - 80+ Gold

Screen : Acer GN246HLBbid

Theoretically i think the PSU should work fine, but i have to note that i bought it reconditioned.
Isn't there safety mechanisms on GPU to avoid that PSU burn them ?

I'm receiving an RX570 in 3 days, should i replace my PSU asap ?

Thank you for your answer.