My GPU cards overclock themselves while in game.

AssassinNation

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Hey guys!

My PC specs:
Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
CPU: Intel i7 6700k
CPU Cooler: Corsair Liquid Cooler H110i 2800m Extreme
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
PSU: Corsair HX850i
GPU: 2x GIGABYTE GTX 980Ti in SLi mode
SSD: Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512 GB
HDD: WD 2 TB Blue
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Stryker
Blu-ray Drive ASUS
Case Coolers: 1x140mm Back-side fan, 2x120mm Front-side fans
Monitors: 28" Samsung UE850 UHD

Basically, the problem is, whenever I start a game, my GPUs overclock themselves to 1300+ MHz and the temps are rising to 70-80 degrees C.

After reading on different forums, I know that 70-80 degrees aren't that much.

But the problem is that I never did overclock anything in my life and I didn't even try to, my base clocks did suit me perfectly just as the temps of about 50-65 when under full load at base clocks.

Guys I need YOU, to help me stop this self-overclocking miracle and help me stabilize my system.

Solution
thats how they're supposed to work. GPU BOOST 2.0 on the box. these cards overclock themselves up to 73C. And before you ask, NO you can't turn this feature off.

ErikMcLeod

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
Exactly what ingtar33 said. GPU Boost is a technology that automatically increases your core clock to a known safe range. As long as your cards aren't exceeding high 80s (Celsius) and you're not getting any artefacting, you have nothing to worry about. But if you're absolutely dead set on lowering your temperatures (which you shouldn't be, they're fine as is), you can always lower your core clock. Whatever amount you lower the core clock by, that amount will be subtracted from the boost clock.

AssassinNation

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
i think you didn't read my threqd thoroughly. I said that my gpu was't working like that before. And I didn't mention but I have used this gpu for 12 months now and it never happened before I got the asus Mobo

ErikMcLeod

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016

Doesn't matter. There's nothing to worry about, but in case of paranoia, you can do what I suggested, and lower your clock speeds so they boost to default speeds.

AssassinNation

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

AssassinNation

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
I see everything on oc guru and I have an idea of what to do but I don't want to "experiment". Also, not everyone has to overclock or even know how to do it in the first place... I bought these cards because their base fps performances in games suited me, I did't want to buy them to overclock... So... Please answer to my question if you can.

ErikMcLeod

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016

Right on, it's just rare for owners of enthusiast-tier PCs to not know how to mess with core speeds and such, that's all.

Don't be intimidated by GPU monitoring software. Unless you've flashed your GPU BIOS or you're physically burning your card with a torch, it's hard to damage your GPU. If temps get too high, or the core becomes unstable, your card will throttle or your PC will BSOD as a failsafe. In any case, there's little you can do to damage your card with these softwares. Worst case scenario, you reboot your PC and try again, knowing your card's limits. The only slider you should be careful with is the voltage slider, but most of the time you can leave that at stock and get respectable overclocks, like I do with my 980ti. Even then, these softwares (and BIOS's) safely cap voltages so you cannot possibly zap or fry your card.

Anyhow, look at this screenshot:
http://puu.sh/s7o2U/ae31a70528.jpg

The payload is encircled in red. Those sliders affect your core speed, memory speed, power draw, and temperature allowance.

Every GPU monitoring software will have these sliders in it. I'd suggest lowering temperature target and/or power target, as those will force the GPU to limit its speed and power draw. Lower the temperature target to 55C-60C, and the card will dynamically modulate its speeds and power draw to ensure it never exceeds whatever temperature you specify.

In the end, though, you'll only be shooting yourself in the foot. All "base" framerates for modern cards are achieved with GPU Boost. "Base" just means no clock/memory offsets were used to obtain those speeds.

But if you're absolutely dead set on having your desired temperatures, then do what I explained. There's just no point for you to gimp your performance since your PC is doing exactly what it should have been doing all along. But hey, do whatever you want.

AssassinNation

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013

AssassinNation

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
Jus as I thought... Thank you very much for fast response! One last question, will this evga software work with my gigabyte gtx g1 gaming card, because as I see it, it's much more versatile than our gigabytes guru -_-

ErikMcLeod

Honorable
Aug 23, 2016
Yes, it should work with all NVIDIA cards. You just need an account on their website to use it. If for whatever reason PrecisionX doesn't work, you can also try MSI Afterburner or NVIDIA Inspector.

One last note: in case you're ever interested in learning a bit more about GPU monitoring softwares, this video is a good jumpstart https://youtu.be/vUEMS-B1Siw

AssassinNation

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013