[SOLVED] My GPU does not go over 15% usage! Does anybody know how to fix it?

Nov 5, 2019
Hi, Recently when playing CS:GO my GPU usage have not been going over 15%. (Usually it's around 5-6%) This results in frame drops some times down to 20 fps on 1024x768 resolution. Does anyone have a fix for the problem or is there even a fix. I have already changed my nvidia settings to "prefer maximum performance" and my drivers are up to date. Btw i have an ASUS ROG Strix laptop with an GTX 1060 and an Core i7-7700HQ.

Solution
Yeah, that's too high on both counts then. By miles. You have serious thermal issues. Either the fan or fans have failed, the thermal paste is completely dry or there is a problem with the fan controls either because the fan controller is no longer working correctly, one of the cables have come unplugged or is otherwise compromised or there is simply thermal fatigue to these components from having been used in high heat situations when vents may have been plugged like sitting on a lap (pants blocking vents), bed clothes (blankets blocking vents) or carpet. Something that has contributed to thermal fatigue or electromigration that has degraded the CPU and GPU to the point where they are unrecoverable now.

If you are uncomfortable with...
Have you monitored your CPU and GPU temps using HWinfo? It sounds like a classic case of thermal throttling to me. It's not uncommon on laptops that have been used extensively for gaming. Laptops simply cannot handle long term high demand gaming, the cooling systems, even the best of them, just don't hold up in the long term. From least to best models, there is ultimately very little difference in the cooling design or capabilities, so when you stuff that much hardware into a confined space with no way to improve the cooling, something has to give eventually. This is exactly why laptops are a poor choice for gaming devices if you plan to use them in the same way you would a console or desktop gaming system.

There are literally thousands of similar threads here and elsewhere with similar thermal degradation issues after prolonged gaming use.

Nov 6, 2019
I had exactly the same problem last week. In cs:go my gpu rtx 2070 clock was stuck at 1410mhz and very low gpu usage. It caused terrible fps in cs:go, as far as I could tell all other games were fine. Reinstalling drivers did nothing. I ended up reinstalling windows and that fixed it for me. Good luck.

Nov 5, 2019
Have you monitored your CPU and GPU temps using HWinfo? It sounds like a classic case of thermal throttling to me. It's not uncommon on laptops that have been used extensively for gaming. Laptops simply cannot handle long term high demand gaming, the cooling systems, even the best of them, just don't hold up in the long term. From least to best models, there is ultimately very little difference in the cooling design or capabilities, so when you stuff that much hardware into a confined space with no way to improve the cooling, something has to give eventually. This is exactly why laptops are a poor choice for gaming devices if you plan to use them in the same way you would a console or desktop gaming system.

There are literally thousands of similar threads here and elsewhere with similar thermal degradation issues after prolonged gaming use.
The temps can be around 90 degrees celcius. Btw would a cooling pad help. Also I'm currently saving up for a desktop.

Yeah, that's too high on both counts then. By miles. You have serious thermal issues. Either the fan or fans have failed, the thermal paste is completely dry or there is a problem with the fan controls either because the fan controller is no longer working correctly, one of the cables have come unplugged or is otherwise compromised or there is simply thermal fatigue to these components from having been used in high heat situations when vents may have been plugged like sitting on a lap (pants blocking vents), bed clothes (blankets blocking vents) or carpet. Something that has contributed to thermal fatigue or electromigration that has degraded the CPU and GPU to the point where they are unrecoverable now.

If you are uncomfortable with tearing the unit down to check then it's likely you will need to take it to a repair shop to do so or replace the unit.

Solution
Nov 5, 2019

If you are uncomfortable with tearing the unit down to check then it's likely you will need to take it to a repair shop to do so or replace the unit.
I have already opened the computer before. i have put in some extra RAM and an extra ssd. How would you fix it by opening it up.

No, I mean a COMPLETE disassembly. What you did only required removing a few screws and a cover plate. I'm talking about removal of the entire casing, keyboard, everything, in order to gain access to the rest of the hardware like the CPU cooler heatsink and fans.