Question My GPU doesn't work properly; what exactly is going wrong?

Jun 10, 2019
I was playing a game and the screen suddenly went black. The keyboard didn't show any signs of life either. I tried all the system shortcuts I know, but nothing worked. Neither did the scroll/caps/num lock LEDs respond.

I forcefully restarted the PC and the screen went black during the OS booting process. This happened for both, Windows 10 and Linux. So I suspected HW, more specifically GPU.

I opened and cleaned the PC. When that didn't help I turned on the PC without any peripherals (including the graphics card). Connecting the monitor to the DVI port on the motherboard, I could see that the OS boots and shows the desktop. But when I tried to use the graphics card, the screen turned black the same way as before.

What exactly could be causing the problem? Why does the Graphics card work up until some time during the OS booting process? I assume that it happens when the OS switches from generic to the card-specific drivers, but I am interested in what might be causing this in hardware and why the system hangs and the keyboard loses power.

Also, this seems to be the same problem as in this thread (it has no replies though):
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-stopped-working-black-screen.3452032/

Kindly provide PC specs.

-1. "Complete" system specs should ALWAYS be accompanied with any driver, hardware, or performance question. Do not post DXDiag reports as they contain a TON of useless information. Posting a DxDiag in place of a System Spec List tends to ward off potential members from helping you.

Please supply the following system details/information:

(Complete System Specs)
-CPU make and model# (clock speed/voltage, type of cooler, and "Core" temperature @ idle and load)
-Motherboard make & model# (include Bios version if graphics card is not recognized or you are having stability issues)
-RAM (amount, clock speed, model#/link of kit, configuration)
-Graphics card(s) make and model# (clock speed, voltage if modified, Driver version and GPU temp both @ idle and load)
-Power supply make,model#, "AND" age (note if using 110V or 220V A/C input)
-HDD/SSD configuration (ie: Raid setup/ back up/ OS drive/etc..)
-Case/Chasis make,model# (fan make, model#, and configuration if having thermal issues)
-Operating System (If using Windows note Framework and service pack version)
-Monitor make, model#, and resolution (If model# is unknown list resolution and refresh rate)

*If the unit is a "laptop" or "All-in-one" system you must note the make and model# of the unit. Be sure you are ALWAYS using the OEM/manufacturer's Driver updates for the unit.

*If "Crashing":
-Note the nature of the "crash" in detail, as there are several definitions for the word "crash".

*If "performance" related issue:
-Note the "exact" point in which the performance reduction occurred (ie: After Windows update, After Bios update, After Driver update, After thermal system shutdown, After Hardware change/upgrade etc...)

*For diagnostic purposes please disable the following:
-Any/all Antivirus/ Anti-malware software
-Any/all OSD monitoring software
-ALL overclocks outside of factory spec

Jun 10, 2019
Specs:
  • CPU: Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4 GHz
  • Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-M; BIOS 2105
  • RAM: Kingston KHX1600C9D3/4GX; 2x4 GB DDR3 @ 667 MHz; dual channel
  • Graphics card: Gigabyte GV-R785OC-2GD
  • GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7850 @ 860 MHz
  • PSU LC600H-12 V2.31; 600 W (Edit)
  • Drives:
  • - HDD: WDC WD10EZEX-00RKKA0; OS drive
  • - SSD: KINGSTON SUV500480G; OS drive
  • Monitor: M2470SW

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019
LC600H-12 V2.31; 600 W
Same age as the rest of the PC (5-7 years... unsure) except for the SSD, which is a few months old.
Don't think the PSU is a problem though.

Jun 10, 2019
Allright. New information. I tried to use the graphics card in another PC and it worked the first time. But upon restarting the system, the same error occurred. I removed the graphics card from the PC and turned it on. I opened up the device manager and removed the graphics card driver. I shut down the PC and inserted the card again. The system started normally.

So the graphics card is faulty, but works with generic drivers. Why?

Jun 10, 2019
I am having the same issue I believe, and I want to smash something.
I have come to the conclusion that the GPU must be faulty. I can't, of course, be sure without proof, but I see no other explanation. The gneric driver doesn't use any advanced features and it is possible for the graphics card to work in this way even if some part of it is faulty. As soon as the device-specific driver is loaded and the faulty parts of the card and/or GPU come into play, it stops working. I did some googling and apparently solder joints of the GPU often fail so the last thing to try before giving up is to use a reflow oven to repair any faulty joints. Of course you can attempt to use a poor man's reflow oven AKA oven.