My GPU fan is not spinning when it should

Feb 6, 2019
Hello! I have had this problem for a while now and don't really know what to do to fix it (if that's possible).

So, let me explain: My GPU fan is not spinning and the temperature goes up to 70°C (158°F). I know the fan works because when it goes to really high temps (over 80-85°C) it starts spinning like crazy.

In HW Monitor it says that the fans are spinning at 40-50% on idle but they are not spinning at all. I tried doing something with the MSI Afterburner. The fan doesn't move at all until the fan speed goes over 80%.

I did a test to see what happens and this is what I've got: 50% fan speed (nothing), 60%, same,70%, same, 79%, still nothing, 80%, starts spinning at 80% (like it should). I'm having some issues with my PSU, I'm getting a new one in around a week. Can this be happening because of something related to the PSU? Or is this something else and is there a way to fix it myself? I have been able to leave Afterburner in the background while playing games (CS:GO mainly) and set it to 80% and its doing a great job. The temps are not going above 45°C while gaming with the Afterburner in the background. Thanks you all in advance!

My config:

Nvidia Geforce GT 630 GPU

AMD Athlon 7750 2.7GHz Dual core CPU

4GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 RAM

550W LinkWorld PSU

Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 MOBO

Windows 10 Pro Activated

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
I mean, I guess there could be something wrong with the power draw to the fans, but I would assume you would see other issues with the gpu first. I would try downloading speedfan first and trying to change the fan settings yourself. You may be able to force it to kick on by changing the minimum and maximum speeds/temps.

Feb 6, 2019
I mean, I guess there could be something wrong with the power draw to the fans, but I would assume you would see other issues with the gpu first. I would try downloading speedfan first and trying to change the fan settings yourself. You may be able to force it to kick on by changing the minimum and maximum speeds/temps.
I have tried setting up the fan curve myself. It doesn't spin at all until I get to ~80%