Question MY GPU FAN VERY LOUD AND ITS THE ONLY ONE SPINNING FROM THE 3

krister.avall

Honorable
Apr 1, 2018
i have had this problem for sometime with my gigabyte gtx 1080 and the problem is that sometimes it gets REALLY LOUD and with some coil whine and when i stop the fan with my finger the loudness stops so it must be the gpu fan. i try setting my fans higher and lower and the only 2 fans seems to be doing it. sometimes it stops for 1 - 3 seconds and comes back. sometimes it stops for months and comes back. idk what to do. i recorded a video with my phone about this problem:
View: https://youtu.be/hTZWYd1v-r0

I would contact the manufacturer about an RMA. Improper fan operation or failing bearings, which is the most likely reason, should be a warrantable condition. Gigabyte warranties their graphics cards for 3 years so as long as you have access to your purchase information or have registered the product with Gigabyte, you should not have any issues getting it replaced.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

krister.avall

Honorable
Apr 1, 2018
I would contact the manufacturer about an RMA. Improper fan operation or failing bearings, which is the most likely reason, should be a warrantable condition. Gigabyte warranties their graphics cards for 3 years so as long as you have access to your purchase information or have registered the product with Gigabyte, you should not have any issues getting it replaced.

but is there any way I can fix this other than rma

Not without replacing the fans, and why do that if they are under warranty. Bearing noise on fans is generally not a correctable problem.

Unless you've had the cooling system removed from that card and have gotten something out of alignment, or something is being hit by the fan blades, then it is pretty much only down to a bearing noise issue and that means new fans whether through RMA or replacement of the existing fans yourself.

That is patently false. There are laws protecting the right to repair, and have been for a long time. Simply repairing something does not void a warranty. Attempting a repair and botching it, due to incompetence, is a different story, and would be considered to be intentional damage.

Dave8671

Distinguished
There is not a fix for coil whine. All GPU with high wattage will have this. Theories on what can cause it is a PSU. RMA the gpu will not fix it the the replacement gpu will do the same. If it gets loud playing games thats normal. Its high end gpu tech side.

I think changing the psu brand could help if if less wattage but thats a theory of mine.

Coil whine has nothing to do with fans, and if the noise stops when you stop the fans, then it's not coil whine. Totally different issues. And as far as replacements not fixing the problem, that's not true either. I've personally had four or five customer units replaced that did, and seen a large number of them on here as well. There are a variety of things that can cause coil whine and the PSU is the least of them.

Specifically, pairing of specific PSU models with specific graphics cards can cause it, but there are also a number of other things including poor gluing of coils. Absolutely replacement CAN resolve coil whine issues which is exactly WHY it is a warrantable condition. That does not however mean that all coil whine is the fault of the graphics card, or is always the fault of the PSU. It varies, but regardless, is not likely to be the issue in this case since it stops when the fan blades are stopped.

krister.avall

Honorable
Apr 1, 2018
Coil whine has nothing to do with fans, and if the noise stops when you stop the fans, then it's not coil whine. Totally different issues. And as far as replacements not fixing the problem, that's not true either. I've personally had four or five customer units replaced that did, and seen a large number of them on here as well. There are a variety of things that can cause coil whine and the PSU is the least of them.

Specifically, pairing of specific PSU models with specific graphics cards can cause it, but there are also a number of other things including poor gluing of coils. Absolutely replacement CAN resolve coil whine issues which is exactly WHY it is a warrantable condition. That does not however mean that all coil whine is the fault of the graphics card, or is always the fault of the PSU. It varies, but regardless, is not likely to be the issue in this case since it stops when the fan blades are stopped.

I just realized that the problem is that my pc isn't detecting the fan that is really loud at all like when I go to CAM or anything similar it says gpu 0rpm and when I turn them manually to 100 then it says the rpm amount. if you understand what I just said?

Do you have any tuning utilties installed, like MSI afterburner or Gigabyte Xtreme engine? If so, make sure you have a fan profile set there. If you do not, I would recommend you install it and configure a fan profile. Before you do that however, it would be a very good idea to do all of the following, especially the clean install of the graphics drivers.

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

krister.avall

Honorable
Apr 1, 2018
Do you have any tuning utilties installed, like MSI afterburner or Gigabyte Xtreme engine? If so, make sure you have a fan profile set there. If you do not, I would recommend you install it and configure a fan profile. Before you do that however, it would be a very good idea to do all of the following, especially the clean install of the graphics drivers.

Here are the first steps to take when trying to solve these kinds of hardware problems. If you have already tried these steps, all of them, exactly as outlined, we can move along to more advanced solutions.

If there are any you have NOT done, it would be advisable to do so if for no other reason than to be able to say you've already done it and eliminate that possibility.

First, make sure your motherboard has the MOST recent BIOS version installed. If it does not, then update. This solves a high number of issues even in cases where the release that is newer than yours makes no mention of improving graphics card or other hardware compatibility. They do not list every change they have made when they post a new BIOS release.

Second, go to the product page for your motherboard on the manufacturer website. Download and install the latest driver versions for the chipset, storage controllers, audio and network adapters. Do not skip installing a newer driver just because you think it is not relevant to the problem you are having. The drivers for one device can often affect ALL other devices and a questionable driver release can cause instability in the OS itself. They don't release new drivers just for fun. If there is a new driver release for a component, there is a good reason for it. The same goes for BIOS updates.

IF you have other hardware installed or attached to the system that are not a part of the systems covered by the motherboard drivers, then go to the support page for THAT component and check to see if there are newer drivers available for that as well. If there are, install them.

The last thing we want to look at, for now anyhow, is the graphics card drivers. Regardless of whether you "already installed the newest drivers" for your graphics card or not, it is OFTEN a good idea to do a CLEAN install of the graphics card drivers. Just installing over the old drivers OR trying to use what Nvidia and AMD consider a clean install is not good enough and does not usually give the same result as using the Display Driver Uninstaller utility. This has a very high success rate and is always worth a shot.

If you have had both Nvidia and AMD cards installed at any point on that operating system then you will want to run the DDU twice. Once for the old card drivers (ie, Nvidia or AMD) and again for the currently installed graphics card drivers (ie, AMD or Nvidia). So if you had an Nvidia card at some point in the past, run it first for Nvidia and then after that is complete, run it again for AMD if you currently have an AMD card installed.

Here are the full instructions on running the Display driver uninstaller and CLEAN installing new drivers.

I had the same problem with my old mobo with latest bios but, Asus motherboard drivers page says "Asus highly recommends installing the amd chipset driver version blah blah blah" yes i have amd and when there is chipset driver and the version is different than the "amd recommends" so what do I do? and I already reinstalled the gpu drivers through nvidia GeForce experience

krister.avall

Honorable
Apr 1, 2018

I fixed it somehow by removing the gpu and just littlebit like rotating it and checking it and wiggling (idk if the right term) it and it's not loud anymore

I already reinstalled the gpu drivers through nvidia GeForce experience

Yeah, that's likely part if not all of your problem. That's not how it should be done, and often causes more problems than it cures. I could list an entire page of links here to people who used GeForce experience, said the same things you are saying, then eventually used the DDU and did a clean install and had no more issues. Literally, a full page of single line links, at least.

So even though you are not hearing the problem anymore, I'd still recommend doing the clean install at some point using the DDU, not GeForce experience. And, if you fixed the problem by reseating the graphics card then it was obviously not due to software but was an improper installation and a partially seated card which was not making full connections to all teeth which probably meant that the control program was unable to accurately monitor and adjust fans speeds. Wait though, and see if it comes back. If not, cool.

krister.avall

Honorable
Apr 1, 2018
Yeah, that's likely part if not all of your problem. That's not how it should be done, and often causes more problems than it cures. I could list an entire page of links here to people who used GeForce experience, said the same things you are saying, then eventually used the DDU and did a clean install and had no more issues. Literally, a full page of single line links, at least.

So even though you are not hearing the problem anymore, I'd still recommend doing the clean install at some point using the DDU, not GeForce experience. And, if you fixed the problem by reseating the graphics card then it was obviously not due to software but was an improper installation and a partially seated card which was not making full connections to all teeth which probably meant that the control program was unable to accurately monitor and adjust fans speeds. Wait though, and see if it comes back. If not, cool.

I reinstalled using ddu and the problem still is there like it went away when I removed the gpu as I told u but the problem came back and I reinstalled with ddu and nothing changed