[SOLVED] My GPU Fried... Need help

Jan 10, 2020
Hello there,
So I built this PC almost 6 years ago, I replaced the motherboard and the CPU to newer gen, but my GPU stayed the same - GTX 970.

Today I was playing a video game and my computer suddenly shut off. I got confused and try to start it up but it wouldn't. I tried to smell for anything suspicious but couldn't. I guess it was stupid of me to re-plug the PSU again and again until the PC did start up, the fans started spinning, although only for a second or two, greeting me with the powerful odor of a burning component... I unplugged everything as fast as I could, checked every component and the smell was coming from the GPU/CPU area. I took out the GPU and I could definitely tell that the smell was coming from my GPU. I tried to smell where exactly the smoke was originating from and I found a capacitor that was kinda burnt..

I replaced my PSU, just to be sure, plugged everything in and started the PC with IG, everything booted up and seemed to be working. Although I did face a weird issue of laggy mouse?? And I got a BSOD soon after the mouse started lagging more and more. After the PC rebooted however, I didn't get any more BSOD, but the mouse was still laggy (skipping pixels, jumping), however after using it for a bit it fixed by itself which makes me paranoid at this point.

I'm really worried for my other components (mobo. CPU, RAM) and I want to make sure they're not damaged, how can I assure that? I stress tested my CPU with Prime95 for 1:30 h and everything seemed to be fine. Could the GPU being fried damage the other components and was it caused just by the age of the GPU or is the PSU the culprit here?

I would be really thankful for any kind of support regarding this, as I don't have the money to replace the nearly newly bought CPU, RAM and Mobo.. And I wonder if my old PSU can still be used.

Thanks in advance,
John

Solution
Protection circuitry probably caught the first time, but whatever failed probably broke its POST test leading to the burning component. Would probably be safest to assume the PSU was damaged if part of the GPU shorted out, but it may have just needed to cool down.

Voltages look normal in the BIOS? From Hardware Monitor?

If you have any spare GPUs, you could test the PCIe slot and see if it is still good, before risking a new GPU you want to keep.

Sadly, not much more you can do but hope for the best.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Protection circuitry probably caught the first time, but whatever failed probably broke its POST test leading to the burning component. Would probably be safest to assume the PSU was damaged if part of the GPU shorted out, but it may have just needed to cool down.

If you have any spare GPUs, you could test the PCIe slot and see if it is still good, before risking a new GPU you want to keep.

Solution

Slimspardis

Prominent
Jan 10, 2020
Capacitors go bad, and i don't think it would have damaged the rest of the computer. Do you have any techicnal skils when it come to replacing electronic components? Can you post a picture of the burnt capacitor? Did you try using the computer without the gpu installed with the older psu?

Jan 10, 2020

Not sure what to consider normal voltages, so I'll just post a screenshot from HWMonitor.
https://prnt.sc/qm2j8p
As for spare GPU's I don't sadly have any... Would I risk putting a new GPU into the PCIE slot where the older card resided?

Jan 10, 2020
Capacitors go bad, and i don't think it would have damaged the rest of the computer. Do you have any techicnal skils when it come to replacing electronic components? Can you post a picture of the burnt capacitor? Did you try using the computer without the gpu installed with the older psu?
I don't want to risk the PSU potentially burning any other components, if it's the PSU's fault, that is... I can surely post the picture of the GPU - https://prnt.sc/qm2j8p I'm not sure if it's too visible, but the burn marks should be noticible. Thanks for the replies so far by the way.

TRENDING THREADS