[SOLVED] My gpu goes to 83c when at 100% usage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
If it's 31C outside, I wouldn't expect it to be the same temp inside your room - that'd be a little much, wouldn't it?
It's about that outside where I live, but inside, it's 25C - I keep a thermometer in my room.
The temperature of the inside the chassis is also important, because it's going to affect how well the air going into the gpu and cpu coolers will cool components.

i have a spec 05 case
Ok, now we're making some progress.
There are a few things that affect gpu cooling, to varying degrees:
1)The chassis' front panel design
This one has the greatest impact. I'm sorry, but people who get chassis with those closed off, or near closed off, front designs without a reasonable intake alternative - like the side intake on the...
Jun 30, 2020
That's what I and Karadjgne are saying.

The front panel should be reserved for a 240/280mm liquid cooler on the hottest device if you so choose - that's the true purpose of the front panel.
Since most gaming PCs have the gpu as the hottest device, NZXT intended for users to use their Kraken G12 kit with an Asetek-made AIO/CLC.
do i have to take apart my card to use kraken g12

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. It'll be fine. The gpu will pull air from the slots right below it, the exhaust will go straight up to the fans. The cpu will use case air, which filters in from mostly the front, drawn by the low pressure created by the exhaust.

By adding front fans, you negate the gpu draw and rear low pressure draw, the front fans don't have enough airflow to over-compensate for that, so both cpu and gpu suffer.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, but why the H500 anyway? You can avoid future thermal issues entirely if you just opt for an open mesh chassis...
be quiet! Pure Base 500 DX
Cooler Master Mastercase H500
Silverstone RL06
Fractal Design Meshify C
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Thermaltake's Commander series
Antec NX800
Phanteks P400A
Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh
Aerocool Aero One Eclipse
Corsair iCUE 220T Airflow
Corsair 275R Airflow
Aerocool Airhawk Duo
You've got a crap-ton of more valid options below 100 Pounds...

The design of the H500 likely appeals to your tastes, but then you're having to build around the restrictions that may be introduced.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I figured you would say that. The aesthetics of the chassis catches many an eye, only for a number of people to complain about thermals, because they didn't bother to try and understand how that chassis works, so they do things that make it worse...

D

Deleted member 2720853

Yes, but why the H500 anyway? You can avoid future thermal issues entirely if you just opt for an open mesh chassis...
be quiet! Pure Base 500 DX
Seeing you recommend this case pleases me. ;)

And yes, go for a front mesh case. Honestly, if I went and installed RGB fans in the front of my mesh front be quiet Pure Base 500 DX (hypothetically - I will never give up my Noctuas), it would still look fantastic.

Never go looks > performance or you'll end up on forums.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
how do people make it worse?
1)Adding front fans when running on air cooling only
2)Liquid cooling the cpu with a 240/280mm unit, when there's a gaming gpu in there.
That's backwards for the majority of gaming oriented PCs - and yes, it is backwards, but society and media has made it commonplace to liquid cool the cpu; sheep go 'baaa'...

There's limits to what this chassis can reasonably handle on air, but if done correctly, it is doable. Take builders who have done the 9900K and 2080Ti in this chassis. That equates to a lot of heat, especially on the gpu.
Guess what most, if not all of 'em did... liquid cool the cpu, and they've still got a gpu running over 80C... :pfff:
Liquid cool the gpu and put the strongest air cooler on the cpu that'll fit in there. That's it.

This chassis isn't terrible, but user error makes it so.

Jun 30, 2020
Seeing you recommend this case pleases me. ;)

And yes, go for a front mesh case. Honestly, if I went and installed RGB fans in the front of my mesh front be quiet Pure Base 500 DX (hypothetically - I will never give up my Noctuas), it would still look fantastic.

i'm going to try to cancel my amazon order for the case so i can get that one, do the rgb come pre built in

D

Deleted member 2720853

i'm going to try to cancel my amazon order for the case so i can get that one, do the rgb come pre built in
Which one? Pure Base 500DX?

If so, the case fans are not RGB but the case itself has a built-in RGB strip near the side panel and the front lights are RGB as well.

You just connect the sata power connector from the front panel to your PSU, it took me a while to figure out why there was a SATA power cable coming from my case as a first time builder...

Jun 30, 2020
Which one? Pure Base 500DX?

If so, the case fans are not RGB but the case itself has a built-in RGB strip near the side panel and the front lights are RGB as well.

You just connect the sata power connector from the front panel to your PSU, it took me a while to figure out why there was a SATA power cable coming from my case as a first time builder...
did u need a fan hub for the fans? also are they enough to cool the whole system good? and did u set a custom fan curve for them?

D

Deleted member 2720853

did u need a fan hub for the fans? also are they enough to cool the whole system good? and did u set a custom fan curve for them?
Originally, I moved the top fan to the front. The stock fans did a great job at cooling my system, however I have since replaced them with Noctua NF-A14 fans, and these work better.

I connected the fans straight to my motherboard's fan headers. I kept the regular fan curve and set the sensors for all case fans to the PCI Express sensor so they ramp up with GPU heat.

Your motherboard may not have that feature.

Jun 30, 2020
Originally, I moved the top fan to the front. The stock fans did a great job at cooling my system, however I have since replaced them with Noctua NF-A14 fans, and these work better.

I connected the fans straight to my motherboard's fan headers. I kept the regular fan curve and set the sensors for all case fans to the PCI Express sensor so they ramp up with GPU heat.

Your motherboard may not have that feature.
would u recommend moving the top fan to the front?

D

Deleted member 2720853

would u recommend moving the top fan to the front?
Absolutely, front to back airflow with 2 140mm/3 120mm intakes on the front and one 140mm/120mm exhaust in the rear is better on a mesh front case.

If your case had a closed front, I'd recommend more exhausts than intakes. Or even all exhausts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 30, 2020
Absolutely, front to back airflow with 2 140mm/3 120mm intakes on the front and one 140mm/120mm exhaust in the rear is better on a mesh front case.

If your case had a closed front, I'd recommend more exhausts than intakes. Or even all exhausts.
do you know how long amazon return usually take? im returning the nzxt case and getting the pure base one

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ehh, that's debatable, argumentative at the very least lol. I've seen a boatload of fancy custom loops full of paste coolant, pc's built with certain sponsers in mind etc. Performance isn't the end-all get-all of factors. Looks and aesthetics play a major role in pc's. I personally wouldn't care for an ugly pc no matter if it performed better than mine. Can't even hide it in a drawer, because I know it's ugliness is still there.

Cases, mice, keyboards, rgb are all very personal items and everything in a pc has certain restrictions that need to be worked around. Got a case full of rgb? Welcome to Wiring 101. Got an AIO? Learn how to read temp shifts. Got a giant aircooler? Ditch the RGB ram in favor of low profile.....

There's bonuses and detriments to everything inside a pc. The trick is to build it with 2 things in mind. The work arounds for the detriments you don't want and finding detriments you can live with for the bonuses you do want.

D

Deleted member 2720853

The trick is to build it with 2 things in mind. The work arounds for the detriments you don't want and finding detriments you can live with for the bonuses you do want.
If only people actually thought like that, all I see is haha my PC must have RGB fans and tempered glass front haha yes

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If only people actually thought like that, all I see is haha my PC must have RGB fans and tempered glass front haha yes
Ahh grasshopper, the fix for that is easy, it's called Full Custom Loop. Get all of the looks, all the RGB and TG to make you happy, and still get performance.

It's only when they add that one, single, quantifying word that everything goes to (really hot place)🔥♨️♨️♨️🔥
..... "Cheap"
😉