[SOLVED] My GPU got fried and so did my friends GPU when I borrowed it to test my PC -- how can I stop this happening again ?

May 31, 2022
My configuration is
Ryzen 5 2600
Gigabyte Aorus elite B450 motherboard
Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
coolermaster 450W PSU
Kingston 2x8GB ram
gigabyte 250Gb ssd + 1TB hdd

So a few weeks back during a storm my GPU and router stopped working, I think my GPU is fried cause everything turns on except there is no output on monitor. so I tested my PC with another GPU from my friend and the computer booted and I got an output on the display. so I thought I just had to change my GPU. But he messaged me next day saying his GPU also got fried, so I thought maybe the PSU is F'ed or something but he also messaged that when he claimed warranty on his GPU and booted his PC and his Processor is also fried. But my processor is running , I only used his GPU in my PC

I need to buy a new GPU but first I want to know is it my PSU or Motherboard or Processors's fault, or is it a software issue that both GPU's are fried and what more I have to buy or replace to avoid it happening again ?

Solution
My configuration is
Ryzen 5 2600
Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
coolermaster 450W PSU
Kingston 2x8GB ram

So a few weeks back during a storm my GPU and router stopped working, I think my GPU is fried cause everything turns on except there is no output on monitor. so I tested my PC with another GPU from my friend and the computer booted and I got an output on the display. so I thought I just had to change my GPU. But he messaged me next day saying his GPU also got fried, so I thought maybe the PSU is F'ed or something but he also messaged that when he claimed warranty on his GPU and booted his PC and his Processor is also fried. But my processor is running , I only used his...
My configuration is
Ryzen 5 2600
Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
coolermaster 450W PSU
Kingston 2x8GB ram

So a few weeks back during a storm my GPU and router stopped working, I think my GPU is fried cause everything turns on except there is no output on monitor. so I tested my PC with another GPU from my friend and the computer booted and I got an output on the display. so I thought I just had to change my GPU. But he messaged me next day saying his GPU also got fried, so I thought maybe the PSU is F'ed or something but he also messaged that when he claimed warranty on his GPU and booted his PC and his Processor is also fried. But my processor is running , I only used his GPU in my PC

I need to buy a new GPU but first I want to know is it my PSU or Motherboard or Processors's fault, or is it a software issue that both GPU's are fried and what more I have to buy or replace to avoid it happening again ?
As far as avoiding this in the future, do you have a surge protector for your equipment? You may also want to consider a combined surge protector and ups unit.

Reactions: chandrix
May 31, 2022
As far as avoiding this in the future, do you have a surge protector for your equipment? You may also want to consider a combined surge protector and ups unit.
will buy a ups unit and surge protector but I had a generic 4 plug extension box , but I always turn off the PSU switch on the back, every time, cause of the gigabyte motherboard's always on USB power , so my keyboard and mouse don't light up at night.

Reactions: dwd999

DSzymborski

Titan
My configuration is
Ryzen 5 2600
Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
coolermaster 450W PSU
Kingston 2x8GB ram

Almost certainly the PSU if anything. You'd have to provide your exact Cooler Master 450W PSU (there are something like 10 possible) to be sure, but they range from mediocre at best to downright garbage at worst (the MWE with plain 80-Plus ratings). When you have a GPU problem, testing another GPU when there's a junk PSU is definitely not a good practice; it's a bit like burning your left hand on the stove and then putting your right hand on the stove to double-check!

Solution