[SOLVED] My GPU (GTX 1080ti) fans are failing, they won't go past 30%. Can an alternative be to just point a fan at the radiator/GPU itself?

Trez_YTR

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Will this be sufficient cooling for the GPU? Or is it better to just get another graphics card? (I'm already way past my warranty).

I've got a Zotac GTX 1080 ti AMP edition.

Solution
Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, i'm definitely sure it's the fans. I've used msi afterburner to no avail unfortunately. Even when setting it manually to hit 100% fan speed, the RPM shows it's only getting up to 30+% no higher.

Yup those are the exact ones! So if I get those, how do I install those on my GPU? Can I just look up any guide on YouTube?

Sure can! Look here --> Presto

The 1070Ti & 1080Ti are almost identical in terms of fan hardware (Unless you get the extreme version that has 3 fans if I'm not mistaken, but the same principle applies.) so you can use the above video as a rough guide. If you have the extreme edition, there are videos for that card as well if you wanted to use one of them. Just be...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Will this be sufficient cooling for the GPU? Or is it better to just get another graphics card? (I'm already way past my warranty).

I've got a Zotac GTX 1080 ti AMP edition.

Hi @Trez_YTR

Yes, but only as a temp means to hold you over. If you do this, I'd suggest you re-paste the GPU heatsink to make sure it transfers and dissipates as much heat as is possible.

Are you sure the fans are bad? Have you used MSI Afterburner or Precision X1 to manually force set the fan speed?

Why not just replace the fans? Easy and cheap to replace. Please take a pic of the FAN on your 1080 so we can see which design it's base is. Does this look like them?

Don't throw the 1080 out if you buy a new GPU. I'll take it. :)

More info please.

Last edited:

Trez_YTR

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2013
Hi @Trez_YTR

Yes, but only as a temp means to hold you over. If you do this, I'd suggest you re-paste the GPU heatsink to make sure it transfers and dissipates as much heat as is possible.

Are you sure the fans are bad? Have you used MSI Afterburner or Precision X1 to manually force set the fan speed?

Why not just replace the fans? Easy and cheap to replace. Please take a pic of the FAN on your 1080 so we can see which design it's base is. Does this look like them?

Don't throw the 1080 out if you buy a new GPU. I'll take it. :)

More info please.

Yes, i'm definitely sure it's the fans. I've used msi afterburner to no avail unfortunately. Even when setting it manually to hit 100% fan speed, the RPM shows it's only getting up to 30+% no higher.

Yup those are the exact ones! So if I get those, how do I install those on my GPU? Can I just look up any guide on YouTube?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Sure can! Look here --> Presto

The 1070Ti & 1080Ti are almost identical in terms of fan hardware (Unless you get the extreme version that has 3 fans if I'm not mistaken, but the same principle applies.) so you can use the above video as a rough guide. If you have the extreme edition, there are videos for that card as well if you wanted to use one of them. Just be sure you get the Tri-Fan kit if your GPU has 3 fans. Otherwise the fan link I posted above will work.

Solution