Question My GPU has been running 80C from-the-get-go and I'm unaware of what to do.

ApplesGoneBloopie

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
I bought a pre-built ( https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16883227875?Item=N82E16883227875 ) because I was short on time. I'm aware that I could've saved money, but I had some to blow and needed something ASAP, and I hadn't built a PC in a while so I didn't want to reacquaint myself. Anyway, the PC has had noticeable cooling issues, but they've been limited to the GPU.

My GPU is usually running at around 80C even if I'm just sitting idly in a game. At the moment, the main game I play is World of Warcraft. I'm aware that WoW is not an optimal game for an RTX card or even GPUs in general, but I still feel as if the temperature should be significantly lower. I know that constant 80C while gaming is fine for a couple of months, but it'll definitely be a detriment within a year. Also, the noise from my fans is louder than that of my phone's alarm at its out-of-the-box volume, and I've had multiple cases wherein my GPU hit its temperature limit for Afterburner, which is 88C, even though I don't have an overclock going on for the GPU.

As for the idle temperature without games, it's around 42C-46C.

So, I'm looking for any recommendations or bits of extra information I should provide to try to get a solution. I've yet to clean my PC, but it's brand new. I'll check for a couple things like proper connectivity to the motherboard, shit in the fan, etc. However, I'm particularly wondering if there's some sort of setting to apply or common solution to apply for new GPUs with this issue.

Also, I'm aware that the RTX cards are still getting hefty driver updates and that they run quite hot in general, but if it's the case that my card should be running like it is, then will the card be sustainable for atleast a year-and-a-half?

Last edited:

ApplesGoneBloopie

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
Also, randomly, my GPU is sitting at around 67C or so playing WoW right now, and I'm in a raid where it should be much higher than it usually is, which is 80C, and I was sitting idle in a major city at 58C. Only thing I can think of that I did was increase the temp limit to 88C and power consumption to 112% in Afterburner, but I applied those a little while ago. Probably not a fix, but it's finally quiet. Have no idea if Afterburner is why.

Last edited:

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
I just upgraded to an RTX 2080 ti last week and noticed high temps of up to 80c in Battlefield V but not other games.
I changed the fan curve in Afterburner so that above 70c the fan runs at 80%.
This reduced the temp to 74c in Battlefield B.

You have to tick the little checkbox in Afterburner Fan in order to access the custom fan curve.

Andy

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
In my opinion WoW should not even tickle that 2080ti. Why on earth did you buy that card to play WoW?

I would take a look at the gpu utilisation and the respective tempd. That card should idle 35c. What specific model do you have?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Why on earth did you buy that card to play WoW?
Sorry, but there's no point in criticising when it's already been bought, just makes people feel bad! Can't we all get along?!

Remember that ambient temperatures are really important here, components are testing in controlled environment (usually around 22 degrees ambient) so for every degree you are over this, you'll be a degree hotter. And when you have ambient temperatures of 30 degrees say, you'll see that 8 degree difference and more under heavy loads.

Does the 80 degree only get hit under load? Ultimately the 2080 can handle up to temperatures of 89 degrees. I wouldn't be too concerned if this was only under load, idle at around 40 degrees can be perfectly normal in some systems too.

How is airflow around the rest of your case?
What CPU temperatures do you reach idle?
Also what PSU make and model do you have do you know? It only lists a generic 650W.
Do you have latest BIOS installed?

Reactions: EndEffeKt_24

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Yeah, sorry that was inappropriate.

The 2080ti is a card with a high tdp under load. And there are certainly models with insufficient coolers like the Asus Turbo for example (got a 2080 here waiting for a waterblock. That cooler is unberable).

I am no expert for WoW but even in 4k that game should not put load on that beast of a gpu.
Please check how high the gpu load is in relation to temps.
You can use the tool gpu-z for that info.
Temps above 80 c are ok under load. My 2080 in a test run of Anno 1800 1440p in ultra is sitting at 98% utilisation and 85c while even beeing undervolted.

Reactions: PC Tailor

ApplesGoneBloopie

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2013
I didn't buy it for WoW; it's just the only game I have downloaded atm. I intend to play other games soon enough. Anyway, the airflow seems fine, the CPU temp when not gaming is about 32C-36C. I'm unaware what the PSU model is. I'll have to look into that, but I'm a bit busy at the moment and don't have time to do much other than leave a quick reply here. I do have the lastest BIOS installed. Also, I'll check the GPU load and make a post if it's noteworthy.

Anyway, with the odd case I mentioned earlier, when I apply the Afterburner profile that I use, which is simply 112% Power Limit and 88C Temp Limit, I no longer get temperatures of 80C+ while playing. I hit a max of about mid-70s. So, something about those settings seems to have worked? I'm not sure if there's any secret little setting that Afterburner applies or what not, but that seems to have fixed my issue. Now that the temperature is lower, I can turn down the fan a bit and allow for slightly higher temps if things get too noisy.

Either way, I'm still curious, so I don't wanna say that I have a solution yet until I'm sure what's going on. I assume that, if the power limit was the deal, maybe my PSU is a bit lacking in some regard. Thanks for all the replies thus far regardless!

I'll probably make another post within a day about the GPU load and power supply.