My GPU is buzzing??

sancco

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Hi all. I just installed a bunch of new case fans and everything seems to be going well. Then I go to hit up a game and notice buzzing from the GPU that I've never noticed before. It's there any time Direct3D frames are being fed to the monitor. Goes away instantly if I alt tab. And then back again when I restore the game window.

I'm super tired so can't really be bothered unplugging the fans tonight. But I'm wondering, what could be going on here? I really like these new fans and my PSU is decent I think. Can plugging in fans really cause something like this, or are they just so quiet that now I can finally notice the buzzing?

PSU: Seasonic S12D 850W
GPU: Gigabyte 7970 OC
Fans: Scythe Kama Flow 2 900rpm

Thanks all!

Solution
Case fan's can not cause any other component to buzz no. There is an extremly slim chance that the introduciton of a case fan may put your total power draw up to just over the total capactiy of your PSU, but this is both very rare and unlikely to be the case.

What has probably happened is that you can now hear the buzzing more due to the quieter fans.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Depends on what type of buzzing. Sometimes if your GPU/CPU is having to render thousands of frames a second, or theres alot of independant objects in the scene, you can hear some coil whine coming from the Mosfets and such of the GPU and/or CPU. Nothing to worrk about. I hear it all the time when running benchmarks.

grebgonebad

Distinguished
Case fan's can not cause any other component to buzz no. There is an extremly slim chance that the introduciton of a case fan may put your total power draw up to just over the total capactiy of your PSU, but this is both very rare and unlikely to be the case.

What has probably happened is that you can now hear the buzzing more due to the quieter fans.

Solution