[SOLVED] My GPU is faulty and I can't get any other GPU to work!

Jun 7, 2021
Specs:

GPU: Gainward GTX 670
Motherboard: Asus P9X79 PRO
PSU: Corsair 650 W CMPSU-650HX

Problem:

My GPU started showing wierd colors and the computer occasionally froze. Reinstalled windows but didn't matter (samething happened in install screen). Local computer store checked my GPU and it was confirmed broken showing crystals. I can still use it to navigate in windows etc, fans are really loud though.

I tried my friends GTX 960, however it didn't show anything at all, only a black screen. Screen did identify itself as "connected" though. I tried changing Legacy and UEFi bios settings but it didn't mattered so I figured that GPU is also broken.

Bought a used Gigabyte GTX 760, however this time it only shows a white underscore in the upper left cornor. Except for that it's all black, no bios or anything. I tried updating the BIOS using flashdrive update, however nothing changed.

Is this third GPU also broken (It's only three years old and looks very well taken care off), or is there something else in my computer broken/is there another solution?

Plz help!

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the Corsair HX650 PSU in your build? Processor for your platform? have you tried working with another PCIe slot on the motherboard? Can you check and see what BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard? To rule out the GPU's you have to be broken, test them out on a donor system that has more than ample power for the GPU + entire system. If they exhibit an issue, the issue is with the GPU's you own. Also, it's highly possible that the GPU's you own are damaged due to age. Second GPU's nowadays have pretty much been cleaned dry with mining or over taxing with gaming/overclocking.

One more thing, did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers prior to removing each of the GPU's and...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is the Corsair HX650 PSU in your build? Processor for your platform? have you tried working with another PCIe slot on the motherboard? Can you check and see what BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard? To rule out the GPU's you have to be broken, test them out on a donor system that has more than ample power for the GPU + entire system. If they exhibit an issue, the issue is with the GPU's you own. Also, it's highly possible that the GPU's you own are damaged due to age. Second GPU's nowadays have pretty much been cleaned dry with mining or over taxing with gaming/overclocking.

One more thing, did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers prior to removing each of the GPU's and then dropping in the new one?

Solution
Jun 7, 2021
Thank you very much! =)

The PSU is probably about 8 years. Bought the whole rig of my cousin who bought it as a tier 1 computer them years ago. Processor is a i7-3820.

I tried both PCI-e slots with the same outcome.

BIOS version is in 0906, so I guess the update didn't go through... I will check if it's possible updating the bios from windows using my old (faulty) GPU.

Also, I don't know what this DDU Uninstaller is, I did however download drivers for my GTX 760.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021
FIXED!

It was the BIOS Driver. I missed the part that I needed to update with a .ROM to .CAP converter before beeing able to update the BIOS.

Now running on my GTX 960 and it's working properly!

Thanks for the help! (How do I mark it as Solved?)