my GPU is getting bottlenecked, but I don't know why

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019
Ok, so my graphics card has a problem... I have FPS drops during gaming. I am usually playing with about 200 fps but then it sometimes suddenly drops to around 50 and it gets really laggy and choppy. I analyzed my GPUs behaviour with MSI Afterburner and noticed that whenever it goes up to 96-99 percent usage my FPS drop for around 3-4 seconds and so does the clock speed of my GPU. I have an NVIDIA quadro p4000 and I was able to play with steady fps for about 1 year, since then the fps-drops have started. I tried reinstalling drivers several times (with DDU) but nothing helped.

Here are my specs:

- NVIDIA Quadro P4000

- Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1270 v6; 3.8GHz

- 32.0 GB DDR4 Ram

- Windows 10 64-Bit

Feel free to aks me if I forgot something :)

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019

hey Dunlop thanks for your answer :) My GPUs temperature is always at around 90 degrees (when I am gaming) and normally at around 72 degrees. And my CPUs temperatur is always at 50 degrees.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
No problem. That's your issue. That GPU will begin to throttle at about 85c it will likely heavily throttle at 90c lowering clocks thus reducing performance. 72c idle? That is not good. The GPU's heatsink is likely caked with dust and/or the thermal paste has dried up. If You are comfortable with taking the GPU's heatsink off I would clean it of dust and apply new thermal paste.

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019

Ok thank you! I will definetly try that out and keep you up to date if it worked or not. Is there anything special I need to take care off while cleaning it?

mxritz

Honorable
Feb 2, 2019

Ok I will watch out for that, thanks so far!