Question My GPU is no longer detected after bios update while attempting to install windows, is there a way to fix this?

Eternalll

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
Yesterday afternoon, I screwed up my display by updating bios, the computer runs and oddly enough the GPU fan does too, my motherboard is kind of old, and so is the GPU so there's no LED to indicate anything, the motherboard does have integrated graphics but I can't find any other cord that will work on both ends.

GPU: Radeon HD 6750
CPU: Zeon E3-1220 3.1 GHz
Motherboard: Dell Optiplex T700
PSU: EVGA ATX 400w
HHD: Seagate 500GB

tecmo34

Administrator
Can you even get to your BIOS or are you just getting a black screen / no video out? It could mean our BIOS update went bad or a setting got changed. Was there a reason you needed to update your BIOS?

I would recommend clearing your CMOS (unplug the PSU and remove the battery from the motherboard for 5 minutes then reinstall and plug PSU back in) and try to booting again. Also, I would look to see if you can find and order a cord that works with your monitor and on-board GPU to see if it boots from the on-board GPU. Then if does, go into your BIOS and the update caused it to want to boot up from on-board versus the GPU.

Reactions: Eternalll

Eternalll

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
Can you even get to your BIOS or are you just getting a black screen / no video out? It could mean our BIOS update went bad or a setting got changed. Was there a reason you needed to update your BIOS?

I would recommend clearing your CMOS (unplug the PSU and remove the battery from the motherboard for 5 minutes then reinstall and plug PSU back in) and try to booting again. Also, I would look to see if you can find and order a cord that works with your monitor and on-board GPU to see if it boots from the on-board GPU. Then if does, go into your BIOS and the update caused it to want to boot up from on-board versus the GPU.
I am indeed getting a black screen, I have tried removing the CMOS battery but not for 5 minutes I will try that really quick then let you know, also I am ordering a Displayport to HDMI adapter, not sure when it will get here, wanted to try everything else possible first though.

Eternalll

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
I am indeed getting a black screen, I have tried removing the CMOS battery but not for 5 minutes I will try that really quick then let you know, also I am ordering a Displayport to HDMI adapter, not sure when it will get here, wanted to try everything else possible first though.
Do I need to unplug every PSU related cable from the motherboard or the power cord from the PSU?

Eternalll

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021

The reason I needed to update was because the motherboard wasn't detecting my boot USB, a website I went to said that for it to detect it you may have to default all settings, once I did that, the display stopped working

tecmo34

Administrator
2 concerns...

1) You bricked your motherboard when you did the BIOS update, so you'll need a new motherboard.

2) Your GPU has an issue with it and you'll need to look to replace.

With updating BIOS, I see concern 1 more likely but that's hope it boots with on-board and that will help with the troubleshooting of either the GPU or some BIOS setting.

Eternalll

Commendable
Dec 17, 2021
2 concerns...

1) You bricked your motherboard when you did the BIOS update, so you'll need a new motherboard.

2) Your GPU has an issue with it and you'll need to look to replace.

With updating BIOS, I see concern 1 more likely but that's hope it boots with on-board and that will help with the troubleshooting of either the GPU or some BIOS setting.
This one guy said something on the Linus forums, he said that it most likely changed the set graphics as the motherboard graphics, which makes a lot of since, hopefully when I can test that cord, that's what's wrong