[SOLVED] My GPU is not picking up complete load and CPU overloads (temp upto 98C), what should I do? :(

uv1997

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
I have a gaming laptop (Acer Nitro 5 AN515-51) with specs :-
i5 7300HQ @2.5Ghz
NVidia GTX 1050 with 2GB VRAM
8GB RAM DDR4

I have been using this laptop for 1.5 years and found no such problem before. It started 2 weeks back when I noticed sudden fps drops in Apex Legends(@720p😐) and also keywords keys were heated up (like at a point it was difficult to keep my finger on W for long time because it was too hot). When I checked the temperatures, they were around : CPU=97C with 100% load & GPU = 74C with avg 60-70%. It wasnt the case few weeks back, GPU used to take up all the load. I tried some things like NVidia control panel settings etc but none of it worked. I used to play Cyberpunk(low setting) at 30-40 fps but after this happened the game gets to 20 fps in 20mins + heat up.

I know I have a pretty low spec laptop but this is all I have.
Please help me save it!

Solution
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

Try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced...

johnsoner13

Respectable
Cpu probably throttling and your games are thus becoming cpu bound and ur gpu starts to lounge around. Try reapplying thermal paste (good quality one) and maybe a cheap laptop cooling pad or put it on something so it’s raised a bit and the bottom vents have more room

If you run an app such as HWMonitor, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

Try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

I doubt that replacing paste is going to do anything.
It does not deteriorate significantly.
You run the risk of not doing it well and worsening the situation.

Reactions: uv1997
Solution

uv1997

Prominent
Apr 27, 2019
What can you do?

You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

I doubt that replacing paste is going to do anything.
It does not deteriorate significantly.
You run the risk of not doing it well and worsening the situation.

Actually since I have bought the laptop I never cleaned it so there is a high chance it requires some cooling via thermal paste and cleaning so I will go to professional cleaners and get it done so I dont fck it up myself. Thanks !